I adjusted my valves today (Honda Accord)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I adjusted the valves on my 2001 Accord today for the first time at 87K. Several of them felt loose. I also replaced the original spark plugs even though the car was running fine. I'm hoping that my MPG's go up as I'm going on vacation next week.
We'll see.

Best of luck. Did you buy the tool, or was it the "I wish I had a third hand" style?

Felt loose, so none were way tight?

Iridium plugs? In my F23 (4cyl) at 100,000 they didn't look good. The ground electrodes were pretty eroded.

I didn't buy any special tool but I did use a curved feeler gauge. Of the 16 valves I would say half were 'sloppy loose'.
I tightened all to where the other 8 were. Now when the feeler gauge is inserted there is some drag. I hope this isn't too tight.

PS: It's been nearly 20 years since I last adjusted valves...and that was on an 1988 Colt. It really does require some 'feel'.

Generally you work on a cold engine, and then adjust them. Of course turning over the engine and doing the pairs. The exhaust valves always have more lash than the intake valve. I've always used blade style feeler gauges. Did you use one of the round things that gets thinner and thicker? If I remember right those are something like .24-.28mm intake, and .28-.32mm on the exhaust. Don't quote that, but I just did one along with timing belt on that same car, but I believe it was an 00 vtec 4cyl accord

You're right on the numbers. I used a .10 inch on the intake and a .12 inch on the exhaust. Some had no 'resistance' at all and now they all 'drag' thru at the specified setting. That's how I remember doing it 20 years ago.

Now that Honda has finally gone to timing chains instead of belts in their 4 cylinder engines, and will probably follow suit in their V-6's in the next redesign, when do you suppose they will finally adopt hydraulic valve lifters?

PM'd.
But for others, light valve springs on small engines can really disrupt your sense of feel. The valves can be opening and feel pretty much the same as just a feeler drag.
Also, watch out when you tighten the locknuts - it often changes the settings.

Many modern engines have valve mechanisms designed so that clearance increases as wear occurs. Older designs caused valve Clearance to close up and burn the valve seating surface.

Yes, you are right about it being .010 and .012 inches. I rechecked them this morning and loosened a few of them and now I am satisfied with the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back