Changing oil too often??

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the near future a bad emissions grade could mean a clunking and junking of a good engine. Take care of the cat or your engine may be put down. Don't think this can't happen.

I'm no expert but it sounds like a lot of hooey to me.Apart from possibly wasting time and $$$ (and our precious petroleum reserves) I can't see a single drawback to properly changing the oil in any motor vehicle.

Interesting stuff. I'd be interested to know who here doesn't get their rotors turned when they replace pads. I have always done it, I guess because I've always been told it's important to the life and effectiveness of the new pads.

What the heck??? New oil ruins catalytic converters??? Somebody needs to chime in on that, that sounds like one of the biggest piles of [really, really censored] I've ever heard!! BTW, the importance of turning rotors is to get the glaze, wear pattern, & (slight) warpage off the old ones-I usually don't bother getting mine turned either, but I'll replace them if the micrometer says they're worn too thin or if they're severely warped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Interesting stuff. I'd be interested to know who here doesn't get their rotors turned when they replace pads. I have always done it, I guess because I've always been told it's important to the life and effectiveness of the new pads.

I always replace rotors when I get new pads, simply because I can find better quality aftermarket rotors for very reasonable money. More than likely the oem rotors will have warped.

Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
I'm no expert but it sounds like a lot of hooey to me.Apart from possibly wasting time and $$$ (and our precious petroleum reserves) I can't see a single drawback to properly changing the oil in any motor vehicle.

Many current and older oil formulations have a highly volatile ZDP add package. THe phospourous is poison to the metals int
he be catalyst. The more frequent oilchanges the more severe the phospourous exposure to the catalyst.
GF5 attempts to solve this with lower P volatility. ANother issue to keep in mind is that as oil ages engine wear goes down until a sondemnation level is reached from the oils neutralixzing capacity,

Life is good, they are not crushing cars that fail emmissions testing.....yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back