Substitute for Toyota Dexron II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1988 Toyota Corolla w/auto tranny that takes Dexron II. I would like to do a change or 2 of the fluid. At Walmart I see Super Tech Dexron VI that says it is compatible with Dexron II, and also another one that is Mercon V that says it is also compatible with Dexron II. Which one would be better in this case, or would it be better to get a name brand fluid?

The Dexron VI is back spec'd to other prior Dexron fluids, but your transmission was intended to run on a more viscous fluid so my recommendation would be something like Pennzoil Dex/Merc or the Dex/merc from Valvoline. You can find the gallon jugs of Pennzoil at walmart.

You probably would not have any issue running the ST Dexron VI, but I have always had good luck sticking to a thicker Dex/Merc fluid that was originally spec'd for it. In your corolla, you know the Dexron works.FWIW, No need to experiment unless others have had success doing so in a 88 corolla.

If you intend on keeping the vehicle I would recommend going to a synthetic ATF if you dont mind spending a little more. Out of all of the components on a car the transmission and diff benefit the most from the addition of a quality synthetic lube. And if you don't want to invest in something like RL or Amsoil you can always get amalie which has proven to be a very good ATF.

Last edited:
Like Azfireguy said, the Pennzoil Dex/Merc (no longer labeled as such) would be a good choice. Mercon V would be a step up in quality, and I use it in all my auto trannys including my BMW which calls for Dex II.

I would not used the Dex VI, as it's thinner and your tranny likely has high miles.

Some ATFs explicitly state that they are usable for Dex II. That might make you feel better because it states the application. Dex VI is applicable because it is back-specced. Sometimes it states this, otherwise you need to just have to understand this is the case.

The thing with Dex VI is that it starts at a lower viscosity, but is far more shear-stable. Dex II, III, etc. shear very quickly down to as low if not lower than Dex VI.

I guess the question is if you feel that a high syn component is acceptable for your AT.

If on a budget, Dex/Merc equivalent from your local stores can be used.
DexronVI or any full-synthetic is an upgrade and is for to decide if you want an upgrade.

For its age, I'd use the highmileage ATFs from Valvoline, Supertech, Castrol, or Pennzoil.

I'm using Castrol Domestic Multi-Vehicle in my father's 92 Toyota Previa that calls for Dexron-II. After a full flush, the transmission shifts much, much smoother than before the flush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back