What to put in my 2002 LX470?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picking up my 2002 LX470 this week. It has 80,000 miles on it and according to the records I've received it appears to have been taken care of. In terms of lubricants what would you recommend? I'm gonna change the oil, Gear Boxes, ATF, Brake Fluid, etc. Oh, and I'l look at changing the AHC fluid but I think that is a special Toyota Fluid. From my search, the only thing I could find was Mobil being used with great success in a 99 LX470.

If you can afford it, Amsoil all around. They will have a fluid for every need and they make darn good fluids at that.

If you want something more affordable and off the shelf, then I would go with the Mobil or Pennzoil products.

My daughter had a 99 RX300, a so called sludger, and I changed her oil with M1 10-30 at 10,000 mile OCIs. It worked well for her till she sold it at 80,000. She sold it to a friend of hers which she still drives.

For engine oil, I would go with Mobil 1 0W-40 or Lexus 5W-40. 40 weight oil runs perfect in the 2UZ-FE - perfect balance of a quiet motor with loads of get up and go.

I would go with Toyota Type-IV in the automatic transmission, and Toyota Hypoid Gear Oil 85W-90 in the differentials. Brake fluid - use whatever DOT 3 is cheapest.

Active Height Control Fluid needs to be replaced every 60,000 miles, and there is no substitute for Toyota AHC suspension fluid.

We had an 01 Sequoia for 5-6 years. Same 2UZ V-8 in a slightly different trim. I ran either M1 5w-30 or GC (of course, 0w-30). I don't think you need to go to a 40 wt oil in this engine. It runs beautifully on the 30s. I posted a UOA here in which I ran a fill of GC for 13 months and just over 10k miles. By the UOA numbers, the oil still looked nearly new. The 2UZ is remarkably easy on oil, so this choice is really not all that critical in the first place.

FWIW, I just checked on TIS, and the present "official" recommendation for this engine in a 2002 LX470, is 5w-30 (preferred) with 10w-30 also recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back