Honda 2.4L Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm now at 121,000 on the 05 Accord and my car now consumes 1qt per 6k miles. As most of you know, it's always consumed about 1/2qt per 5k miles. It appears that most k series 2.4L engines do not consume much, if any oil.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned as to why I'm seeing higher oil consumption with this engine. I've done some research on Driveaccord and HondaTech and while it is true that many Honda engines consume oil, the 2.4L supposedly isn't one of them.

Does anyone think a 40 grade would curb oil consumption any? I tried searching for older threads but nothing came back.

Wife has a 2006 Accord, same engine.

The car uses about a tiny bit of oil every 7K miles (maybe a half pint). I would not use a 40 weight oil in this engine, even if the car had 200K+ miles.

Mine still uses zero at 40k. In my cars that burned oil, the best oil in terms of consumption besides 15w-40, was GC.

Well, you could always pull a "me" and put TDT 5w40 in it and see what happens
wink.gif
It eliminated my consumption.

Why are you worried about such little consumption, mine uses 2 quarts in 3k miles and it runs like a top. It has a 156k miles and has been using 2 quarts since about 100k miles.

I would try Maxlife semi-synthetic 5W30 a couple OCI's to see if it will reduce/eliminate the oil consumption, before trying 40 weight oil.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
Why are you worried about such little consumption, mine uses 2 quarts in 3k miles and it runs like a top. It has a 156k miles and has been using 2 quarts since about 100k miles.

You have the 2.4L?

Buster,you're going to let this run you crazy. Are you not the fella that said he twists this engine up tight regularly and runs it past 80-90mph everyday? I can't remember if it was you or not. Anyway,if it is, your 2.4 will be humming way past the time when you will be humming. Just drop the hammer on it and if it needs a little lube give it to her.

Originally Posted By: buster
I'm now at 121,000 on the 05 Accord and my car now consumes 1qt per 6k miles. As most of you know, it's always consumed about 1/2qt per 5k miles. It appears that most k series 2.4L engines do not consume much, if any oil.

I'm starting to get a bit concerned as to why I'm seeing higher oil consumption with this engine. I've done some research on Driveaccord and HondaTech and while it is true that many Honda engines consume oil, the 2.4L supposedly isn't one of them.

Does anyone think a 40 grade would curb oil consumption any? I tried searching for older threads but nothing came back.

Buster, 1/2 qrt in 5k is nothing! I have an 07 w/ the 2.4 use 1/2 qrt in the first 2k of every OCI then uses nothing for the remainder of that OCI, has done this since it was new! You don't need a 40w you don't need a HM oil. Now if you want to try a HM oil MaxLife makes a 5w20. I would not put any 40w oil in that motor way to thick you won't be happy. my recomendation is continue what you have been doing if it needs a little make up oil per OCI no big deal!
Joe

+1 on the Maxlife 5w-20, the Maxlife synblends are good oils. I have seen it recently at Wal_mart in 5 qt jugs for $14. Have had positive results with every vehicle I have used it in. In the GF's 3 liter V-6 Duratech, it is the only oil, that the level does not drop during an OCI. My older Air cooled BMW cycle just loves the 20w-50 variety.

Thanks guys. The issue is though that the 2.4L's don't consume any oil for most people. Many Honda engines do burn oil but the 2.4L isn't supposed to be one of them which is why I was a bit concerned.

Like the other fellas say, 1qt/6Kmi may sound alarming, but it's nothing. We've had modern vehicles in the family that would consume over a quart (at times) in ~1000mi; A 1999 VW Jetta, 2001 Isuzu Trooper and a 2003 Isuzu Rodeo. None of these vehicles ever let out a noticeable wisp of blue smoke, didn't smell oily, ran like a top, etc.. Manufacturers only spec in excess of 1qt/1Kmi as being an issue. You could either do an OC at 6K, or top it up and go 7-8K w/ your Honda. FWIW, the 3.5L in my 2008 Ody doesn't use any noticeable amount in 7-8Kmi OCIs.

Joel

Yeah all of my UOA's looked great. I just realized that it's 7k not 6k per 1qt. Not bad. I'm hoping to go 10k miles using 1 qt. May slow down a bit and see what that does.

There a lot of people with the 2.4L that drive hard and see zero consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back