Rear drums squeak when released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just put in new rotors & pads in the front as they were getting pretty worn down. What I noticed when sitting in the shop was that when the brakes are released, a squeak noise comes from the rear.

I asked the mechanic who thought it was the actual pedal but then had another mechanic listen to the rear and came to the conclusion that it was the piston making a noise when the brakes are released.

Does this sound accurate/plausible and what would the fix be? The rear drums are new (previous owner just changed them last year/6k ago).

Thanks!

lack of high temp lubricant on the contact points/sliding parts inside of brake drums is the cause.

Brake cylinder doesn't squeak, it's the mechanism and the springs, shoes, etc. that makes the squeaking sound.

Q.

My 04 Civic has been doing it for months. It is nothing to worry about. The shoes contact the backing plate and this area is where the noise comes from. I have tried to lube them but there in not enough room to apply lube without getting it on the shoes (not so good). When i get some free time i'll take them apart and lube them up with brake grease. But i'd like to wait till the shoes wear out first.

I tell my wife that that noise just lets you know that the brakes are working.
LOL.gif

This is common and almost an expected situation.
No real harm, but they should be greased when you get a chance.
The brake shoes move and slide against the backing plate. After many miles, any lube is gone and there is dry metal against dry metal, with probably light rusting.
Yank the drums and grease the raised tabs where the shoes ride, and lube any other movable parts.
Clean the dust out first, of course!
Spraying with water from a pump up sprayer works great and is safe.
Or, use brake cleaner spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back