Petro Canada 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil GF-4 energy conserving oil appears on GM's list of 6094M oils.

Price per litre bottle is $5.67 Cdn (approx $5.23 US)

From Blackstone

Aluminum- 0
Chromium- 0
Iron- 0
Copper- 0
Lead- 0
Tin- 0
Moly- 132
Nickel- 0
Manganese-0
Silver- 0
Potassium-2
Boron- 39
Silicon- 2
Sodium- 0
Calcium- 1214
Magnesium-3
Phosph- 422
Zinc- 572
Barium- 0

SUS Visc. 210- 60.6
cST Visc. 100- 10.4
Flashpoint- 420
Insolubles- 0
TBN- 7.5
-----------------------------------------------------------

FROM the product info sheet of this oil supplied by Petro Canada:

SUS Visc 212- 61.8
cST Visc 100- 10.6
Flashpoint- 451
TBN- 7.7

NOACK: 9.9%

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw
That's cuz it has the word Canada on it. HAHA

We will have to settle this like Canadian men do...on the ice.

So looking forward to this year's Winter Olympics in Banff. What a hockey tournament it should be!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
That looks a bit weak to me.

Agreed but I have a case of 12 one litre bottles. I will use it next oil change (likely in January) for my Vibe with its 1zzfe engine. Should do fine for this 4 cylinder in winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes the add pac is very week.
I can't remember seeing a Phosphorus level that low.

I can-and unfortunately it was also on a Blackstone VOA. They are fantastic to work with though so call them, tell them of your concerns and have them "rerun" it. I suspect the Ca, P and Z are actually about double the values shown here.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
They are fantastic to work with though so call them, tell them of your concerns and have them "rerun" it. I suspect the Ca, P and Z are actually about double the values shown here.

Good idea Reddog. I will do just that.

I just wonder how long they keep submitted samples.

Last edited:
A few years ago Valvoline oils had a "weak additive package" yet they delivered excellent UOA's. I'd use it in the Vibe for 5 or 6k and not worrry about it.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd use it in the Vibe for 5 or 6k and not worrry about it.

For sure this oil will get used. But I was so sure that this 0W-30 was going to show exemplary in its VOA given the product's very respectable PDS (e.g. NOACK less than 10%). Before this VOA (of course assuming this Blackstone report is correct), I had envisioned using it in our Traverse with its DI engine. But now I think instead I will do a run of GC...later this winter; do a UOA and compare to the UOA for the previous OCI for QH 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: REDDOG
They are fantastic to work with though so call them, tell them of your concerns and have them "rerun" it.

I emailed BStone with this request on Saturday and got a reply email just now saying that there would be no problem re doing the VOA.
thumbsup2.gif

Numbers aren't right on this.

If you look at PC's PDS's, you'll see that the values for their Dino AND syn oils are almost the exact same - same Zinc/phos. amount, same TBN...so I'd expect the add-pacs to be almost identical, just the base oils are different.

This is Patman's analysis of Supreme dino 5W-20:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1032466

I'd expect this 0W-30 to have the same values. Moly is almost the same; so it seems right, but the rest is off.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Numbers aren't right on this.

I'd expect this 0W-30 to have the same values. Moly is almost the same; so it seems right, but the rest is off.

Weird eh?

I know PC isn't marketing these oils as long drain oils; with a TBN of 7.7 (spec'd), they are planning on it being used at factory OCI's, just like dino.

The REAL push for PC with their oils is cold-weather performance. They have some of, if not THE, lowest ccs numbers I've ever seen on dino, synthetic, and HDEO oils.

Will be interesting if the re-test shows anything, but I don't think it will. Might be worth e-mailing PC and seeing what THEY say....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Will be interesting if the re-test shows anything, but I don't think it will.

(The tech said he reran sample right after doing a check standard so the spectrometer was reading as good as it could).

The only data he sent this time was for CALCIUM , PHOSPHORUS and ZINC and the new values are 1196, 430 and 554 respectively.
21.gif

You were right addy.

No sure what I would say. The VOA is the VOA. TBN is as advertised i.e around 7. Calcium isnt shown on the product info sheet. I would have to go back and compare but is there discrepancy(s) between the VOA and the posted product info sheet for this oil.

Last edited:
There is in the advertized Zinc/Phosphorus amounts.

I'd e-mail them, except I didn't have it done myself, so they could call [censored] on my results unless I got them first-hand.

On the other hand, you're right - TBN is what is advertised, so that is what they will dwell on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back