Does anyone wash and re-use their rags???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that may sound crazy to some people, but I worked in some shops that had a cleaning service come in to wash not only all of the uniforms every week, but the used rags also. I know it's common practice. Even the greasiest, most oil soaked, dirt embedded, used to wipe grease from the concrete floor- you get the idea. I'm wondering what type of detergent they use. The rags would come back perfectly clean every week. Now, obviously the home mechanic would not want to use his regualr washing machine to wash rags...unless he wants to get in REALLY deep [censored] with his wife. But maybe it would be cost effective in the LONG run to have a dedicated, cheap washing machine for coveralls and rags. We all know many rags get used when greasing trucks and heavy equipment...

Ive thought about that for a while... I want to be able to use cloth rags for a lot of stuff, but the better, non-linty ones are too $$$ to use once, compared to good paper shop towels. The problem is that I end up using a lot of paper towels that just get thrown away.

I guess i could take them to the laundromat
wink.gif

Good question!

Originally Posted By: SmotalChaos
Now, obviously the home mechanic would not want to use his regualr washing machine to wash rags...unless he wants to get in REALLY deep {stuff} with his wife.

You're looking at me. Well I do throw out completely oil soaked rags, but for the most part I always wash my rags. I have a variety of mostly hand sized terry towels, wash rags, big towels, and microfiber towels. If they are especially grimy I soak them in Simple Green solution, turn the water heater way up, a couple extra cups of laundry detergent. Sometimes I wash them twice. Yes once in awhile I have sludged the washing machine, but it cleaned up pretty good.

PS I have friends who put car parts in the dishwasher.
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif

Exactly my point! The nice, heavy, red rags are great to use, but too expensive to use too many of them and throw away.

I hate using regualr paper towels.

The only alternative is using the disposable, heavy paper shop towels. But even they're no where near as good as cloth rags. And they aint cheap either.

I do like Pablo,

I use the basic costco detergent and use double or triple the recommended amount. I usually throw all of my rags in with my coveralls.

I soak up oil spills with paper towels and throw them out. Otherwise, I use rags/microfiber for everything.

You could invest in one of these hand crank washing machines. Seems the right size for a batch of oily rags.

I would probably use a very strong detergent (and maybe add capful of Oxyclean) and use HOT water. Rinse a few times, and then hang up to dry.

http://www.cleanairgardening.com/portable-washing-machine.html

My only concern is since that is made of plastic, the oil residue would eventually make it brittle. I'm sure it isn't made of that tough plastic you see like on egg crates.

I filled the washer to a medium load with hot water added some detergent, dishwasher soap, and degreaser and let it mix a little and then added the rags. Turn the washer off for 2+ hours to let them soak. Turn back on and let it go throught the was cycle and them wash again on large load with hot water and the same mixture with a second rinse. I never had a problem with my washer as a result of washing rags. I dried them in the dryer. I always cleaned the washer tub with a paper towel and some degreaser type cleaner.

Last edited:
Helen - that's more detail on the strategy I use. When I put the degrease type stuff in (Simple Green, etc) I allow the rags to soak for awhile as well. Automatic Dishwasher powder works/helps because it has a small amount of caustic soda. Indeed the occasional ring wipes right out.

so you guys put simple green right in the washer? never thought of that...

what about spraying them with some brake cleaner before putting them in? maybe it would loosen up the grease. dont know if the brake cleaner would hurt the washer though

I cannot recommend brake cleaner used that way. If the rags/cloths need brake cleaner, it's just best to huck them out. Not only is brake cleaner not the best for the environment, it's not exactly water soluble in the soap "system" you will be setting up. The soaps and detergents mentioned already will get the oil out. Plus, I think you are right, brake cleaner is not so good for the washer.

I do it by soaking them in a bucket with a lot of detergent. After a couple of days, I rinse them out well and do it again. Rinse a few more times in hot water, and only then do they go in the washer. After running them through the washer, I run another load with either nothing or work clothes to clean out the machine. I haven't gotten in trouble for sludging up the washer yet.

I lived in a place once that had the washing machine in the garage and it emptied into a large sink. I would stop up the sink with a rag and let the soapy water draining from the wash cycle (that was just going to go down the drain anyways) soak the rags. Obviously I only did this when I was around to watch it or the sink would overflow during the rinse. After a number of soak cycles like that they would be somewhat clean and I would just toss them in the washing machine. Heavy grease or oil I would just throw out.

To tell you the truth, this may sound gross, but I don't even wash the rags after repairs. I let them build and build until they are almost black and practically dissolving. Then, eventually, I just throw them out - but I use like old clean clothes and socks with holes in them, anything really, just so I don't have to go buy rags. I can't justify spending money on rags, for some reason.

All the shops that I've ever worked in had rag barrels that the 'uniform' company would pick up and wash for us. It was always great to have an unlimited supply of clean rags.
All my old rags would end up in those work barrels.

I don't care for ruining the washing machine. But, have used the laundromat when the employees aren't looking. SimpleGreen will clean the rags better then overdosed laundry detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back