Toyota oil vs Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new RAV4 with the 4-cylinder engine. The owners manual recommends 0W-20 or 5W-20, Toyota oil or the equivalent. My preference is to use Mobil 1, either 5W-20 or 0W-20, but Toyota says their oil has special Toyota-specific additives(?) that make it incompatible with other synthetics. Aren't I okay using Mobil 1 5W-20 year-round in New Mexico, where it ranges from 0 to 95 F?

Don't you just love all this new "marketing as scare tactics" from the struggling car companies? "You need to use propriety magic ester nissan oil", etc. It is B.S. Mobil 1 will work fine as will many other oils.

My owner`s manual says the same thing,We Recommend Genuine Nissan Fluids". Me,I use Mobil 1,Royal Purple,Valvoline,Pennzoil.........just depends on my mood when I reach the oil store :^) Go for the Mobil 1,you can`t go wrong with it. That`s what`s going in my car next oil change.

Last edited:
Use M1 or Amsoil or Toyota oil. (Don't mention it to your engine and it will never be the wiser
LOL.gif
)

Originally Posted By: jaybo
I have a new RAV4 with the 4-cylinder engine. The owners manual recommends 0W-20 or 5W-20, Toyota oil or the equivalent. My preference is to use Mobil 1, either 5W-20 or 0W-20, but Toyota says their oil has special Toyota-specific additives(?) that make it incompatible with other synthetics. Aren't I okay using Mobil 1 5W-20 year-round in New Mexico, where it ranges from 0 to 95 F? (emphasis added).

This rumor has surfaced here one time that I've seen. Upon seeing it, I logged into Toyota TIS (tech info system). In case you're not familiar with TIS, it's a paid service which provides total access to all Toyota maintenance publications for all Toyota, Lex, and Scion about 25 years back.

On TIS there is absolutely no mention at all of the existence of a unique, incompatible synthetic oil.

Where did you hear this, if you don't mind? This rumor needs to get squashed, promptly. Alas, being here in the internet, it will now probably fester on pretty much forever. . .

jaybo - Welcome to the forum. Nice vehicle and go with the oil spec for the engine. M1 would be a very good choice IMHO. You have a warranty to consider so keep the receipts and use the recommended OCI.
BTW - Toyota doesn't manufacture oil that I'm aware of, Mobil does.

I'm not sure where I read it but it was on an automotive forum. I have read that each oil has its own brand of additives and that they can be quite different so it makes sense that they might be incompatible if mixed together. My plan is to drain the oil the RAV came with at 1500 miles and replace it with Mobil 1 5W-30 and a new filter cartridge. From that time on I will use Mobil 1 exclusively.

BTW, the internet is a place to exchange thoughts and ideas. Some may or may not be accurate, but they may be enlightening. If I find the source of the "incompatible" information, I'll post it.

I hope that Toyota lets Erica keep her job. I'm sure she was completely unaware of the "s" storm that would be started by her poor choice of words.

Then again, maybe Toyota really is supplying free oil for the duration of the (60,000 mile) engine warranty on every Prius.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar
. . .
Then again, maybe Toyota really is supplying free oil for the duration of the (60,000 mile) engine warranty on every Prius.

Where are you buying your crack -- I gots ta know. . . !

EDIT: that was, of course, a humorous ref to the line in the Dirty Harry movie, nothing more nefarious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Isn't all oil sold in the US market supposed to be "compatible" according to a federal mandate?

Back in the day before CNN was running the world, retail oil in the US required an MS (military standard) rating that provided compatability with other oil. Today, I sure don't know how or if, but would certainly think as you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back