Oil, Oil, are you kidding me, truck oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi from the north country. I just bought a new suzuki c50 for my 60th birthday after not riding for 25+ years. this will most likely be my last bike and would to make it last. I starting reading up about all the new oils out there and and have found a lot of talk about folks using truck oil like rotella,delvac and others. I have been wading through a million pages of info but one thing is clear ,amsoil is what my local dearer sells but at over 11.00 a guart,(and my bike takes 4 and I like to change it every 1000 to 1500 miles) I'm starting to think ,maybe, this was a mistake to start riding again. In the old days castrol covered everything. Thanks for hearing me vent, But truck oil? Really? I can't afford another motor. the manual says 10-40 or 15-40 but says nothing about synthetic. I'm really confused about all this HELP!

take a deep breath, you've come to the right place, now wait till a pro comes along to answer your question.

The OM should say something like "Change the oil at 600 miles, then every 3500 miles". Is that about right? I'm going by memory here. No need to change your oil every 1000 miles, that's kinda foolish and somewhat wasteful.

That Amsoil oil the dealer sells would be a good choice. It's more money, but it's also top of the line mc oil. The Amsoil site says you can double the OCI of what your OM says, but I wouldn't go that far with it.

I wouldn't run truck oil in a mc I just paid $10k for, I'd run something designed for a wet sump like you have.

I just paid $11.50 for a 5 quart jug of Motorcraft diesel oil for use in my recently rebuilt Suzuki GS1000 engine. Buying motorcycle specific oil is silly in my view when quality oil is available for a fraction of the cost.

Man I want another bike soooooooooooooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!! If the day comes and I buy another one,Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 will be the only oil it will ever see. That`s my recommendation.

Put in Rotella T or Delvac and blissfully ride. I run Rotella T 15W40 in two new liquid cooled 500cc Suzuki powered ATVs, a 2006 Kawasaki KLR650 and a 2003 Honda Valkyrie with absolute confidence. I've run it in very hard worked air cooled ATVs for many years with not a single problem. Change the oil every 3000 miles and you'll probably never have an oil related problem.

Well thanks for all your replys. everyone has a lot of money tied up in their toys and if your like me ,every dollar counts. Does "BOB the oil guy" have any hard and fast thoughts on all this?

HDEO ("Truck" oil) will be just fine in your bike. So will the AMSOIL, if you want to run it for extended OCIs. In either case, change it early the first time, then go to regular intervals. 1000-1500 is WAY too often to change oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jdblya
maybe I am wrong, but doesn't motorcycle oil differ from auto oil because of the gear case and clutches?

That's the reasoning for using diesel oils, they normally contain higher amounts of the additives that protect gears and engines.

But, to the original OP - just use Amsoil and never worry. Just don't change it every 1000-1500 miles unless you like spending money needlessly.

There are two questions, as best I can tell, you're seeking answers for.

1) what oil will protect my new investment to a satisfactory level
2) what price point is legitimate

So, here's my answers to your questions.
First, just about any HDEO (dino based conventional diesel rated CI-4+ or CJ-4) will do a fantastic job of providing wear protection in your new ride. The bike you just bought is well made, and likely won't be ridden to any hugh extreme (super hot, super fast, etc). So dino HDEOs will perform admirably.
Second, if you satisfy question #1 with a good quality oil selection, then you can seek out the least cost alternative by finding an HDEO on sale. There is absolutely no need for syntethic oils for anything less than 7.5k miles in your specific situation. I would even caution you that chaning oil at 1.5k miles is a huge waste of money, even with a conventional oil. Today's bikes are way more capable that those you used to ride 25 years ago.

Peruse the motorcycle UOA section here. You'll see lot's of UOAs that substantiate the use of common HDEOs for long OCIs.

BTW - welcome!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Everyone seem to know a lot about this oil subject. I did go to the Uoa section ,but I'm not real sure of what I,m looking for in it. I'ts going to take me a while to get up to speed. I did go to a couple of discount auto supply stores like VIP, autozone and noticed some oils that seem to have ratings that look right. they are the extended milage oils. Of course I would not use without a lot of advise. WOW this is turning into a hobby about oil. i just wanted to get good oil without breaking the bank. I'm learning though!

If manual calls for a 10W40 or a 15W40 then the truck oil 15W40 will work. hdeo have good add packs and are pretty stout

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Welcome, and enjoy your new bike. It's never wrong to buy a motorcycle at any age.

+1

The problem is that most of the guys here are anal about their oil, myself included. So when you ask for opinions you get a lot of personal biases thrown in at no extra charge.
LOL.gif

I am currently in a similar quandry with my Harley but when in doubt I usually follow my Owners Manual recommendations. Good luck.

Quote:
I'm starting to think ,maybe, this was a mistake to start riding again.

NOOOOOO!!! Never!!
grin2.gif

Quote:
In the old days castrol covered everything.

And, it still does. Just don't use anything marked "Energy Conserving" and you'll be fine.

You could always use Suzuki's house brand dino oil - there's an analysis here. Good lube (as you'd expect, being made by Shell), although I think it's a bit pricy for dino 10-40...

"WOW this is turning into a hobby about oil."

For most of us, it's a sickness ...
grin2.gif
and now that we've got our grubby little paws into your flesh, we're not letting loose of you, either.

Last edited:
Mobil Delvac will work fine in your bike. If you are really worried, a 50/50 mix of Delvac and M1 15w50 would also be a very good option. You are looking for an oil with shear stability, very little moly, and an extra dose of z and p. Both of the oils mentioned fill the bill, and will protect your scoot. As always, take the MSF safety course and protect yourself on the street with a helmet, gloves, and preferably a jacket with some armor in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back