Next question: Grease!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so I don't grease as often as I should, but I do grease more than average.

Based on that fact, what do you say is going to be the best grease for stuff like my backhoe and loader joints? I've been using a dark and slightly thin moly grease from the tractor supply and don't have any complaints, but if there's something better than I'd like to know.

Thanks for any useful suggestions you can pass along,

lp

There are a few excellent greases on the market that could meet your needs. Schaeffers, Amsoil, and Texas Refinery. Select one with 5% moly and all have excellent ability to handle high load with keeping water and dust out of critical mating surfaces. You will use less grease with any of these fine companies.

At work it's Castrol Pyroplex Blue, works good for us. It's a very thick & tacky grease. Bearings & bushings do well with it, especially those that are exposed to high temps (asphalt) for a long time. Very good at repelling water.

We've tried other greases (read: the boss tried to save some $$$), but went back to the Castrol.

We deal with a lot of equipment, and from what I've seen, the frequency of greasing is more important as long a reasonably good grease is used.

If your current grease is working, and it's fairly cheap, I see no reason to change, but it can't hurt to check some prices. In this business, as you well know, every penny counts!

Good stuff, adamg, thanks.

The thought that frequency of application is likely more important than quality of grease (within reason) rings true. I'll look into the Castrol that you mention, I always liked Castrol stuff.

Picked up some Mystik JT-6 today, seeing as how it has a good reputation here. My loader lives outside, so something that won't wash out is what I need.

lp

That Mystik looks like good grease.

I have to say, with your concern for the lubricants in your equipment, you're further ahead than most owners.

I would stick with a 5% moly fortified grease,thats the purpose of moly its a EP lube,we use Schaeffers #238 with great results,it's thick and stays where you put it,pins and bushings last a loooong time with this grease.

Thanks again guys.

The machine in question is an old New Holland L775 skidsteer, pretty good old beast. I'm pretty experienced with steel fabrication and machine repair, so I really want to put off the day that I have to tear that crazy lift mechanism down;-)

I'm going to run a tube of this JT-6 and see what seems to be the case. I think I can get a fair idea of how good a grease is staying in the joints by watching the way it acts when I drive it around with the bucket up a ways and little load in it. If it gets a little dry, I can see and hear a lot more unwanted motion than when it's got a good grease load.

lp

The L775 is an interesting and fun machine- I've done some work on a few of them. Longer than most, but very stable. I like that weird vertical-lift design, and I REALLY like the 2-speed setup on these machines. Don't know how it works- never had one apart. But I do know that these are easily the fastest skidsteers that I've operated. You can get the thing going good in a gravel lot and skid sideways- can't do that with a 5mph Case.

Let me know how the JT6 works for you. Unless you are really in with heavy duty off road equipment it should work. If not there is a JT6 Moly with 3% Moly version. For general use the 5% is over kill.

Originally Posted By: Grease_Guy
For general use the 5% is over kill.

No such thing!!!!

when it comes to preventing wear, heck no....

Texas Refinery is a great all round grease in almost any application fleet wise. Sure there are other great greases, and many that cost less and some that cost more, but the performance is fantastic and it just works, and lasts, and in many apps saves $$$/Time/Equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back