Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switch from Mobile 1 to Kendall GT-1 full synthetic. I had been using the Mobile 1 for the past 50,000 miles on my Sequoia since new. Dealer here in Hawaii wanted almost $250 for a Mobile 1 oil change and tire rotation. Was able to get the Kendall GT-1 full synthetic oil change for $62.00 at Firestone. I did some research on the GT-1 with little results other than it is owned by Conoco and is the same as Motor Craft Synthetic. I am on a 5k OCI per the owners manual. Does anyone have any experience/comments with using the Kendall GT-1 full synthetic oil?

Ouch $250 for an M1 oil change and tire rotation is pretty steep!...The Sequoia should be easy enough to slide under and diy if your not afraid to get your hands dirty. Ive used Motorcraft before w/o any problems...Never Kendall though..

AF Medic,

I believe it is the same from conducting a few searches on Google. One article I read said that the full synthetic is used in the new Corvettes and Caddy's. Sounds like a good alternative to M1 and at a much affordable rate, we at least here on the Island.

Mobil 1 has a very slight advantage under extreme conditions, something you are not likely to see in Hawaii. Either oil greatly exceeds your need.

Originally Posted By: AFmedic
Is Kendall the same as motorcraft?

No, most definitely not. It is still a very good oil, though. I wish I could find Kendall's 5w20 blend around here for sale at a parts store. It seems only the quickie oil change places have it.

Kendall full synthetic isn't the same as Motorcraft. Kendall Synthetic Blend is close to the Motorcraft formula. You shouldn't have any problems switching over to it from Mobil 1. Your wallet will love it!

Last edited:
I worked at a truck shop where we ran Kendall Syn. with 90,000 OCI with out a problem until 1.8 million miles good stuff.

Been a BIG fan of Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic for some time. I'm running Ken Full-Syn 5w40 European Formula in my VW Passat Turbo. Excellent oil , and they have a great tech dept.(hotline) if you have any questions.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Kendall full synthetic isn't the same as Motorcraft. Kendall Synthetic Blend is close to the Motorcraft formula. You shouldn't have any problems switching over to it from Mobil 1. Your wallet will love it!

From my understanding it is exactly the same. Just recently somebody posted the data sheets on both full synthetics (GT-1 and motorcraft) and it was 100% identical. Maybe the add pack is a little different but somehow I doubt that.

I was refering to the Kendall full synthetic and the Motorcraft syn/blend. The Motorcraft syn/blend and Kendall syn/blend are slightly different, Motorcraft has a better add-pack.

The Motorcraft full synthetic and Kendall full synthetic is probably the same oil.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Great information from a wealth of knowledge. Wow, 90,0000 OCI on long hall trucks using Kendall. Crazy to think any type of oil would last that long. I might do a patch test on it after the next oil change and post the findings.

Side bar question. I purchased an extended warranty out 100k. The owners manual has a 5k OCI if I extended the OCI beyond 5k due to using a high quality motor such as Kendall or as previously used M1 would that void my warranty, perhaps I should call the extended warranty company to get their guidance.

Thanks
Piglet

The aftermarket (non-automaker) extended warranty companies are generally insistent that you follow the automaker's oil change interval. Some of them look specifically for whatever excuse thay can find to not pay a claim.

Some of the automaker's extended warranties are not much better because they really are an aftermarket warranty with the automaker's name on it.

Originally Posted By: piglet
I recently switch from Mobile 1 to Kendall GT-1 full synthetic. I had been using the Mobile 1 for the past 50,000 miles on my Sequoia since new. Dealer here in Hawaii wanted almost $250 for a Mobile 1 oil change and tire rotation. Was able to get the Kendall GT-1 full synthetic oil change for $62.00 at Firestone. I did some research on the GT-1 with little results other than it is owned by Conoco and is the same as Motor Craft Synthetic. I am on a 5k OCI per the owners manual. Does anyone have any experience/comments with using the Kendall GT-1 full synthetic oil?

piglet,

I've seen this oil at my local PEP BOYS too selling for a much cheaper price compared to Mobil 1. I too am very tempted to use it also as I've been told it's a very good oil made by Union 76/Conoco-Phillips. Since it's a FULL synthetic one can't go wrong with that and the price is very much superior.

Durango

Originally Posted By: piglet

It is MOBIL, not MOBILE.

Kendall is in the black bottle, Motorcraft is in the red bottle same stuff both pretty good.When they charge $250for the oil change and tire rotation does it include a dinner??? Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back