Does anyone use "real" Mobil1 (Not Wal Mart!)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Back in the late 60s, early 70s, you'd hear the same B.S. about Champion spark plugs. The high volume discount stores are selling 'seconds'.
Or the plugs were a low quality version of the 'real stuff'.
Wal-mart sells more oil on a day then many auto parts stores sell in a week.

Champion spark plugs should be illegal no matter what.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Changing_the_spark_plugs_&_brands_to_avoid

Quote:
Things which will reduce engine life, in order from most to least devastating:
Champion spark plugs
Lack of oil (uncommon)
Turbocharging or supercharging (rare)
Other extreme power modifications (rare)
Roadracing (You should be able to tell if it's been a racebike)
Drag racing (unusual)
Infrequent/rare oil changes (somewhat common)
Long-term storage in a damp environment (somewhat common)
Infrequent/rare valve adjustment (common)
Overly tight drive chain (uncommon)
Infrequent, short riding (less than about 20 minutes) (common)

Other than these things, the Ninja 250 motor is pretty bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Back in the late 60s, early 70s, you'd hear the same B.S. about Champion spark plugs. The high volume discount stores are selling 'seconds'.
Or the plugs were a low quality version of the 'real stuff'.
Wal-mart sells more oil on a day then many auto parts stores sell in a week.

LOL I remember that. As a side note Champ plugs really suck though. The only appliction they were worth using in was a lawn mower (and if I could find another brand for my mower I'd get them!). Any time I ever tried them in a car they absolutely sucked, and it didn't matter where I bought them from.

As far as buying oil from Wal Mart I'm leaving shortly to jump on the Pennzoil rebate. I buy oil from Wal Mart w/o fear. I just make sure the oil wasn't opened filled with waste oil and returned. Something that frequently occured in the Green Acres Wal Mart.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
At Walmart you get a very high quality oil such as Mobil 1 at an everyday low price.

What more could you ask for ?
21.gif

Exactly!! Many of these parts stores are in the business of making as much profit as possible -- it's the American way don't ya know!!

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Well, even Mobil 1 doesn't have they money to pay people with PHD's in chemistry to sit by the phone and answer questions pertaining to buying oil at WalMart.

I have a story about this exact situation. I bought a dozen liters of Pentosin 5W-40 from NOPI here in Forest Park, Ga. one summer. The oil was old and I got it for a very good price.

I wrote to Pentosin to determine exactly how old the oil was. I received a e-mail from Pentosin giving me the exact date that the bottle was filled. Over the years I stayed in touch with the man that had replied to my initial question. This man turned out to be one of their top chemists (a PhD. no less) who had retired from Esso in Germany and was now working for Pentosin. He gave me his name and has been very personable over the years. He holds many patents in the lubrication industry and was one of the original patent holders for the famous Esso LT71141 fluid that set the standard for long drain transmission fluids years ago.

My e-mail friend is now dedicated to formulating transmission fluids for the German vehicle manufacturers. It is unfortunate for me that he doesn't do any work for VW but the companies in Stuttgart keep him busy.

So, you never really know who is going to field a simple question that you may ask.

I bought m1 ep 5qt jugs from walmart all the time,the problem for me was,it would be sold out many times before i got there.

Its the same oil in the USA,no worry.

My GTP loves Champion spark plugs - RS12YC's. I always had a slight hesitation a 5k+ rpm before with the Autolite 104's. Swapped in some Champions recommended by a very knowledgeable member of the Grand Prix community and the car runs out great now.

...for what it's worth.

You must remember that Wal Mart doesn't depend on auto parts for their overall business volume. Their volume allows them to sell for less than auto parts stores, unless they have special sales going on. What I really like is they have 5 quart bottles of the oil I use, which is hard to get elsewhere. I work at a VW dealer and the mechanics have to use Castrol 5W-40 in quart bottles; what a hassle and time waster!

The price is definitely right...........5 quart jug of Mobil 1 = $4.40 a quart verses the $7 a quart at auto parts stores which would be $35. That`s alomst $15 in your pocket :^)

Last edited:
It should be to no suprise to anyone by now that Walmart has purchasing power second to noone. Which gives them the power to strong-arm companies to give the price to W.M, that W.M. wants. It is up to the company either move operations to China, and make a lower quality product, or swallow it and take less of a profit margin. That being said Exxon Mobil will never hurt finacialy. If they supplied W.M with a cheaper M1 it would of been exposed by now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back