2009 IE7 IE6 IE8 Firefox Chrome Safari Opera

July 15.9% 14.4% 9.1% 47.9% 6.5% 3.3% 2.1%

June 18.7% 14.9% 7.1% 47.3% 6.0% 3.1% 2.1%

May 21.3% 14.5% 5.2% 47.7% 5.5% 3.0% 2.2%

April 23.2% 15.4% 3.5% 47.1% 4.9% 3.0% 2.2%

March 24.9% 17.0% 1.4% 46.5% 4.2% 3.1% 2.3%

Feb 25.4% 17.4% 0.8% 46.4% 4.0% 3.0% 2.2%

Jan 25.7% 18.5% 0.6% 45.5% 3.9% 3.0% 2.3%

Remember the days when IE was invinceable?

That looks fabulous! Keep in mind, though, that these appear to be numbers *for that site*, and any tech-oriented site is going to have a much lower IE and Windows user base than non-tech sites.

There are stats from a wide variety of sources here:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0

I am using Epiphany on Debian GNU/ Linux these days, and it isn't even listed! And as a web developer, it absolutely breaks my heart to see IE6 still... *alive*; and Opera, a work of art, languishing in relative obscurity.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
That looks fabulous! Keep in mind, though, that these appear to be numbers *for that site*, and any tech-oriented site is going to have a much lower IE and Windows user base than non-tech sites.

There are stats from a wide variety of sources here:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0

I am using Epiphany on Debian GNU/ Linux these days, and it isn't even listed! And as a web developer, it absolutely breaks my heart to see IE6 still... *alive*; and Opera, a work of art, languishing in relative obscurity.

I'm afraid that's a little more realistic - still a very good showing though. We're debating making firefox the default web browser on all our images and even pushing the setting out to machines currently in use. IE8 is just as bad as 6, depending on what you're trying to do. That'll add about twenty thousand users to the FF camp if we do.

From lower on that same page:

Quote:
These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users.

Quote:
Wow! Firefox is kicking posterior!

I'll agree they're doing well, but "kicking posterior" seems a bit over enthusiastic.

Sites used by those looking for help with Windows and IE will be heavier on IE. Sucky sites that other things don't work right will be heavy on IE. My attitude is that if Ice Weasel doesn't work right. I can do without the site.

I am not about to into my settings and have it claim to be IE. I am not even I can, but i know I could when I was using Konqueror.

Originally Posted By: labman
I am not about to into my settings and have it claim to be IE. I am not even I can, but i know I could when I was using Konqueror.

I had a real problem with Konqueror before Safari become the default on Mac OS X. I had it report that it was Firefox.

These days, I still install the UserAgentSwitcher Firefox/ IceWeasel addon for those increasingly rare cases where something doesn't work. Better a user must resort to a few clicks to trick a lazily, stupidly run site to allow them to use it than to feed the "may I should just go back to using Windows" devil on their shoulder.

Also, the remarkable little Epiphany browser can use both the Gecko and Webkit backend, and can work almost anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back