Does anyone use "real" Mobil1 (Not Wal Mart!)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is M1 from WM a "watered down" version compared with what is sold at parts stores? It is much more expensive at the parts stores. I've shopped WM for years and I can't think of a single item that wasn't cheapened in one way or another. I have always bought my beloved M1 from WM with no problems for many years now, but I still wonder. I guess the only way to tell is if there is a UOA done on parts stores Mobil1 (I'm guessing 100% of us buy M1 at WM). Mobil's official answer:

Question:
Is the Mobil 1 Sold in Jugs at Wal-Mart the Same Quality as the Product in Quart Bottles Sold Elsewhere?
I have a question about the 5-quart Mobil 1 jugs I buy at Wal-Mart. Is the oil in the 5-quart Mobil 1 5W-30 jugs the exact same oil that is in the 1-quart containers sold elsewhere? I ask because I have heard that the Wal-Mart gets a cheaper formulation made to their specs in order to allow them to sell for less and you do not get the same quality of oil when you buy it. When I compared the labeling on the 1-quart containers at Advance Auto Parts to the 5-quart jug I got at Wal-Mart, I noticed that the 1-quart container says ACEA A1/A5 B1/B5 and the 5-quart does not say ACEA at all. Both have the HTO-06 and are, I believe, both API SM and ILSAC GF-4. Frankly, I doubt that any company would risk their reputation by packaging a different product for a chain store under the same name but I thought I would ask.
-- Paul Sceva, Plainfield, IL

Answer:
You are right, the formulation and quality level of our motor oils are the same wherever the product name is the same, regardless of the package size in which it is sold. The difference in ACEA claims you are referring to sounds unfamiliar to us. Was it the exact same product in both cases?

Originally Posted By: Nayov
It is much more expensive at the parts stores.

That's not necessarily true. Often times M1 is on sale at the part stores. For example, right now a gallon of M1 is $20 at PepBoys. I can't recall exactly how much a 5qt jug costs at Walmart right now, but I think it was about $25-26 last time I checked, so on a per-quart basis that's about the same.

XOM would really have to be out of their mind to have the exact same product name, but two different compositions/quality standards.

Well, even Mobil 1 doesn't have they money to pay people with PHD's in chemistry to sit by the phone and answer questions pertaining to buying oil at WalMart.

It's the same oil. Sharpie markers are the same, too.

I live in the U.S and don't drive a Euro car so what do I care about the Euro specs..........
33.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I live in the U.S and don't drive a Euro car so what do I care about the Euro specs..........
33.gif

He didn't state that he's unfamiliar with ACEA specs. He stated that he's unfamiliar with the ACEA spec differences between same oil packaged in different containers.

At times AA offers M1 of any choice, 5 qts, and a M1 filter for $30.00. Cheaper than WM. They may do that 2 or 3 times a year.

OK, I did not know that M1 does sometimes go on sale at parts stores. That makes me feel a bit better and bit less conspiratorial.

a Jug of Mobil 1 0W-30 is $22.00 at Walmart right now and that same jug is $27.00 at Autozone.

Off Topic. Autozone has 5 qts of Castrol Syntec(even 0W-30 for me)and a K&N oil filter for $27.99.

Originally Posted By: 9krpmrx8
a Jug of Mobil 1 0W-30 is $22.00 at Walmart right now and that same jug is $27.00 at Autozone.

Is it the same jug? I thought the M1 jugs at Walmart held 5 quarts while M1 jugs at other establishments held 4 quarts?

I imagine Wal-Mart asserts some muscle when buying items in high volume. So, I would think it is the "deal" they made with the vendors, not that they bought an inferior version of oil.

Following inferior product logic, the jug of Pennzoil Platinum I just bought at Wal-Mart for $20 would be watered down. Especially since I am getting back a $15 Wal-Mart shopping card.

I can't believe all this discussion regarding Packaging?

Walmart has the supply chain and delivery system so effiecient that they can offer lower prices. Autoparts stores are less effecient. Nothing to do with the products.

Mobil 1 is "watered down" right at the mobil plant, ever since they started silently adding group 3 basestocks to what was at one time a "true 100% full synthetic" group 4 based product.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nayov said:
I can't recall exactly how much a 5qt jug costs at Walmart right now, but I think it was about $25-26 last time I checked, so on a per-quart basis that's about the same.

$22 @ Wally World.

Back in the late 60s, early 70s, you'd hear the same B.S. about Champion spark plugs. The high volume discount stores are selling 'seconds'.
Or the plugs were a low quality version of the 'real stuff'.
Wal-mart sells more oil on a day then many auto parts stores sell in a week.

FWIW, I have a jug of Valvoline with some WM insignia on it.

Walmart can afford to sell stuff cheaper. The location I frequented in college grossed $1 million in sales EVERY day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back