Moving to Windows 7........sort of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to replace our HP desktop (Windows XP Homeboy Edition) with a laptop and I've decided to wait until the Christmas sales in order to purchase one that is Windows 7 based.

I'm thinking "why buy a laptop now with Vista and a free "upgrade" to 7 when I can wait and get W-7 as the original O/S?"

Am I correct in assuming my Office 2003 Pro and other software such as Quicken, etc., for XP will not function with Windows 7?

Most software should run just fine under W7. but you are correct that an OS upgrade is never the same as a clean install.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Most software should run just fine under W7. but you are correct that an OS upgrade is never the same as a clean install.

. ....and Apple has everyone beat on being problem free

With an upgrade, the best you can do is first do a clean install of the original operating system and then - before you change or install ANYTHING - upgrade immediately to the new version. As long as you're doing it, you might as well do it right.

Windows upgrades are junk, so I would wait until you can get it preloaded (which will be the day it's released) or plan on wiping it clean and installing 7 from scratch.

If you don't want to wait for Christmas, bensbargains.net has good deals year round. The comments are of questionable theme, but I've bought a GPS/Camcorder/Computer after seeing deals there too good to pass up.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Windows upgrades are junk, so I would wait until you can get it preloaded (which will be the day it's released) or plan on wiping it clean and installing 7 from scratch.

Never had a problem With a Windows update. I have the Windows 7 upgrade preordered through Costco. My machine is currently XP SP3, and it runs great, but is a memory hog.

Thanks, simple_......

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

. ....and Apple has everyone beat on being problem free

You know, I've considered "going Mac," but reality dictates TWO new Macs to replace that HP desktop and Toshiba laptop.

As I'm in the process of reviewing bids on new windows and doors for our house, I will likely funnel my $$$ toward those items, as opposed to boosting the share price of Apple.

Although primarily a Linux user have been running Windows 7 RC too in a triple boot mode.

Windows 7 has a version that supports many XP programs. I pre-ordered and the price was $100.00 during the special they offered. The basic version was $49.00 and tax. It does not support XP software.

Apple has become more popular but there have been several security issues crop up with their O/S and browser and many people running it have a false sense of security.

No operating system is 100% perfect and all have their problems including Apple and Linux.

Often while traveling I use Wi-Fi and the Linux firewall on more than one occasion has warned of someone attempting to hack my computer.

On my Windows Vista 64 bit O/S I had no problems when upgrading to Windows 7 O/S.

Maybe someone could chime in with their experience.

There are a lot of laptop sales going on right now with schools getting cranked up for another year.

I would bet that Office 2003 will work just fine in Windows 7. Basically if it works in Vista, it will work in Windows 7.

Windows 7 Ultimate has XP mode that is pretty slick too.

I think you have the right idea to wait until W7 is the OEM OS on the machine to buy. I would have done the same thing, but I got in a bind with failing hardware and had to purchase in April.

I think it is time to refuse to let MS force a new format on the world. Just return all emails with an attachment with a notice to resend in a non proprietary format.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver

Windows 7 has a version that supports many XP programs. I pre-ordered and the price was $100.00 during the special they offered. The basic version was $49.00 and tax. It does not support XP software.

All versions of Windows 7 will run most or all XP programs. The XP Mode is just a Virtual machine running XP (Virtual PC) that will allow you to use mainly hardware that doesn't have Windows 7 drivers, but also incompatible software. It is a separate feature or application not really compatibility built in for XP programs that the Premium version doesn't have.
The Professional versions on up have the XP Mode Virtual Machine support, but you also need to have a processor that supports Virtualization Technology (Intel VT or AMD Hyper-V). All versions of Windows 7 will be able to run most Windows XP apps.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
I would bet that Office 2003 will work just fine in Windows 7. Basically if it works in Vista, it will work in Windows 7.

Windows 7 Ultimate has XP mode that is pretty slick too.

I think you have the right idea to wait until W7 is the OEM OS on the machine to buy. I would have done the same thing, but I got in a bind with failing hardware and had to purchase in April.

Office 2003 runs just fine with Windows 7 (at least the RC version)

I guess I'm not the only one waiting for the holiday sales. My only thought is wait a little longer until Win 7 SP-1 is released then hop on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back