2009 honda accord oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 honda accord with the 3.5 v6 in it. I got it new in feburary and the owners manual says not to change out the factory fill till the olm says to. Says something about its a special break-in oil. Well it has almost 5000 on it now and its at 20% on the olm. i want to get it changed out with a good syn. i want to use amsoil 0w-20 but that probably wouldn't be good for warrenty. So anyone have any ideas how to keep the warrenty up and what oil to use? thanks a bunch

I'm not too up on the wear characteristics of the J35, but I put Castrol GTX 5w20 (one of the thicker 5w20s) in my wife's 09 Accord LX-P. It was at 7100 miles at 15% and that's when I changed the oil. The k2X has been known to be able to wear perfectly with the worst maintenance. I don't have much if any desire to run synthetic with the k24 for 2 reasons...my wife drives like a grandmother and again, the k series 4 bangers are very gentile on oil. If I did run synthetic, I'd probably go for 12-15k OCIs (backed by UOAs of course).

My sister in laws 2000 J30 AV6 coupe has been running 5k OCI on bulk dino (whatever the dealer uses) and it runs well at 140k miles. No UOAs for particulars but suffice it to say, it's a Honda :).

Last edited:
It would certainly be fine now, and I doubt you would have a problem with your warranty from running a 0w-20 instead of a 5w-20. Certainly the engine will be fine.

The J series motors are at least 11 years old, to have a problem lubrication-related would be rare indeed.

Personally, I wouldn't use such expensive oil, but that's me. Maybe you have some severe duty requirements?

I wouldn't worry much about the oil voiding the warranty, unless you're trying to use 20W-50 in it. I run 5W-30 in my '08 CR-V since the engine is much quieter and I can't tell any decrease in gas mileage. No trouble using synthetic, Honda just reminds you to stick to the normal change interval if you do use it.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Personally, I wouldn't use such expensive oil, but that's me. Maybe you have some severe duty requirements?
What he said :).

Maybe PP 5w20 at most if you really want to use synthetic, but I'd do a few UOAs and try to push the oil further than what the MM tells you.

Last edited:
would 0w-20 mobil be good or 5w-20 extended performance mobil? i will be changing the oil when the olm says and no sooner this is why i want a good oil

Originally Posted By: 008wagon
would 0w-20 mobil be good or 5w-20 extended performance mobil? i will be changing the oil when the olm says and no sooner this is why i want a good oil
I'd stray from Mobile 1 period in favor for Penzoil Platinum 5w20. But again the MM assumes dino oil is in the crankcase....if you are going to run a quality synthetic like PP or Amsoil, then you should be going much longer than the MM tells you unless you don't put too many miles on it a year.

smoothest oil I ever used in my element was pp 5w20. I now use honda genuine oil 5w20 because I get it for cheap from my dealer, its also a very good oil. I would also use a honda oil filter if I were you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
I would also use a honda oil filter if I were you.
This is where I'd disagree. PureOne PL14610 on the Hondas for me unless you have access to the Filtechs.

I always like to use OEM filters but thats just me. I like the gasket design much better and they seem to be quality filters.

Originally Posted By: ryland
I always like to use OEM filters but thats just me. I like the gasket design much better and they seem to be quality filters.
The previous OEM manufacturer of Honda filters (Filtech) made great filters. Honeywell/Fram make them too. Not horrible (not as bad as an Orange Fram) but there are better filters out there for the money. The Toyo Roki filter for the s2000 is a great filter, but there is issue with bypass pressure and oil pressure when using it since the s2000 flows a lot more oil than other Honda engines.

I think that early in the warranty period, I would use OEM filters and the recommended 5w20 oil. Sometimes it is a good move to let the dealer do the first and second change to build a good repore with your dealer.

with the Nebraska winters, I would consider running a 0W-20 as they flow faster at cold temps. I have friends who use Amsoil's 0W-20 in their Honda... and I have used 0W-30 in my Intrepid since new. my favorite filters are PureOne, or (more money) the M1 filters.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I think that early in the warranty period, I would use OEM filters and the recommended 5w20 oil. Sometimes it is a good move to let the dealer do the first and second change to build a good repore with your dealer.
In my experience and my families experience, no matter how close you get to the service dept. or a dealer in general, they will screw you over in the end and/or disappoint you. I shudder even thinking of a dealer service technician LOOKING at my car, no less touching it ;).

so should i go with 0w-20 amsoil or mobil 1 0w-20 i have been using amsoil 0w20 in my truck with good results

neither but whatever flip a coin. If you want to keep your warranty both of these oils are overkill at that milage but use whatever makes you happy.

Originally Posted By: 008wagon
so should i go with 0w-20 amsoil or mobil 1 0w-20 i have been using amsoil 0w20 in my truck with good results
If those are the options (and you won't consider PP 5w-20), then I say go for the Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
That's what I've done with my 07 3.0L Accord. Let them do a few, first one free. The last one I did myself using a Pure One PL14610 and 5w20 Q Horsepower.

FYI, I cut open the Honda A-02 filter and inside with the exception of no screen on the bypass and it is verrrry close to the Fram Tough Guard. It looked decent after 6k miles but not the quality of the Pure One, IMO. And there are and have been some great deals on Pure One's.

As for the OP, 0W20 would probably be fine but I'd likely stick with 5w20 for a while. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back