Starting a VERY small oil change business!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A word from someone who has done it............

First and foremost, the business I started in 1996 is an oil import and wholesale distribution and sales to industry. in 1997 I decided to open in a second office in my wife's home town, 450 miles from here, but that did not have enough industry to justify, but where I had 25,000 sq.ft. of land on the highway for "future" use.
So I dug pits to change oil and built ramps for washing cars and trucks/busses.
I already had an insurance policy for responsibility, hired my brother-in-law to run it and a few others.

The biggest pain was filters. Slowly but surely I ended up with more than 100 different filters, and Murphy's Law always won out. If I got down to one of a given number, that day 2 cars would come in that needed it.

Then I added one pit to my main warehouse here in Santa Cruz due to customers who used my oil in their plants and wanted it in their cars (and I couldn't guarantee that little shops used ours. Again the filters......... Fortunately we found a filter store that delivers, so we can call and they bring what we need if they have it. Otherwise I loose one person and an hour or so, plus gas, while they go get one.

Of course for me oil was not the problem. I already had a warehouse full. All group II or traditional synthetic. And now I have 30,000 Donaldson filters of 750 different sizes , so I only have to call occasionally for others.

I think the place you can make the most money, and do the public the most service is transmission changes. For $500 you can by the exchanger at Harbor Freight (I have two of them). I charge retail for the oil, plus $20 towards the machine. It's a half hour job if you do it by the book, although my guy in the small town stops the machine when it has pumped out the fluid and drops the pan, inspects and advises customers of anything serious, cleans the filter, puts it together and restarts the unit. I think the places in the states charge way too much for this service.
a_Maquina-ATF.gif

a_cambio-bmw02.gif

Lubricar1-cambio.jpg

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: river_rat
We used to have an OC place in town here called The Boob Loob. No kidding. The "techs" were topless girls.

I'd get my oil changed every day, and inspect closely to make sure they were doing it right.

You'd spend less than if you were going to a topless bar, and you'll have a super clean engine. Where's the downside?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Lots of good info.

Addy guy, I'm actually right between Lindsay and Peterborough, actually omemee and Peterborough, Another BITOG'er labour is on the house. My wife will have the Mocha ready....top on though, she wasnt to keen on the other idea....women have no sense of humour. LOL.

We used to have an OC place in town here called The Boob Loob. No kidding. The "techs" were topless girls.

And that lasted how long??? From opening until first call to the local constabulary?

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Thanks for the replies guys.

Lots of good info.

Addy guy, I'm actually right between Lindsay and Peterborough, actually omemee and Peterborough, Another BITOG'er labour is on the house. My wife will have the Mocha ready....top on though, she wasnt to keen on the other idea....women have no sense of humour. LOL.

Hehe...had a g/f that lived just outside of Lindsay. Have a university buddy that used to live just outside of Norwood, but he moved recently and i'm not sure where he is....it's a nice area!

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

And that lasted how long??? From opening until first call to the local constabulary?

What potential laws are being broken (just curious)? Reading, PA, a traditional cultural center for such distractions, had a smaller greasy spoon that featured "legs & eggs" Thursday where the waitresses were topless. There used to be restrictions on places that served alcohol ..but that too has changed.

As long as they're only changing engine oil and doing automotive type lube jobs, I don't see the conflict with the law. I'd assume some standard for viewing the service bay would be in place (no kids ...etc).

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

I remember about 2 years, maybe 3. It was all done legally here but I guess the novelty wore off.

Mobile Boob and Lube service would be better. Many of us can't stand another man touching our rides, but, if you're getting a lap dance you'd soften up (not really)

hahaha, man,

That would be interesting. It'd be tough for a lot of married/ common law guys out there to explain to their signifigants why there are topless girls in the driveway. LOL

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I think I would start up a mobile OC service before I did it at my house. getting your oil changed by someone else while your car is parked at work is THE ultimate convenience.

I always thought this would be a good idea once I bought a mityvac. You could do 3/4 of the vehicles this way, and the rest you could do with a jack.

I just thought it would be tough because the cars might be parked in pay-parking lots or secured buildings.

Another idea would be to do the mobile oil changes on small fleets in the evening at the fleet yard. This way, the business owner doesn't have to pay an employee 1/2 hour to sit in line at a Jiffy Lube every month or two. And if your cost is less than a Jiffy Lube, it's a double-value proposition for the business owner. Plus you could knock off 5-10 in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back