Best oil for a 2009 BMW 335d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is a 2009 diesel, it must have a particulate filter. Only run oil that meets mfr specs. These new oils have low ash content so as not to plug the DPF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Burpelson
New BMW 335d. What is the best oil Mobil 1 ESP 5w30? You guys know best.

I,too,just bought a 335d.Don't know about you but so far I love mine.Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 officially meets BMW's "LL-04" standard.Valvoline's website says their SynPower MST 5w-40 is pending official approval by BMW.I called them and they said the formulation is identical to the 5w-30,which has official factory approval.I just bought 10 quarts of the 5w-40 at a local NAPA shop for about $6.50 a quart...much cheaper than Mobil 1 ($10/quart at a local Chrysler dealer).
Should I do a break change? I will use a 7500 mile OCI even with a good oil because the car is a taxi.

I'm gonna go with 6 month/7K OCIs as well.Plus,I'm gonna do my first change at about 4K,which should be in early December.

And BTW,apart from BMW dealerships,it's very tough to find filters for the diesel.FYI....

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Nice car, gotta love over 400 ft/lbs of torque!

I'm a very conservative driver,largely because I worked in a large hospital's ER for 20 years.But this thing's a beast.If you're not *very* careful with the pedal it will pin you to the back of your seat.I know...it's already happened to me a couple of times.

And BTW,I bought it for the mileage (40+ mpg at 65mph)and the fact that it's a fine automobile...not the torque.

Originally Posted By: BimmerMan
I think I will try M1 ESP 5W30 ????

Where do you get it from?

I just bought some from a local Chrysler dealer.

$10/qt

Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
I think I will try M1 ESP 5W30 ????

Where do you get it from?

I just bought some from a local Chrysler dealer.

$10/qt

Whoa! Some or all Pep Boys in the U.S. now carry it and here it is $6.99/qt.

And BTW,I bought it for the mileage (40+ mpg at 65mph)and the fact that it's a fine automobile...not the torque.

great pick!

Im waiting for a 123d convertible...

I'm waiting for a 330xd sedan or wagon (single turbo only with AWD), since I live in Alaska. No news on more diesel BMWs coming since X5 35d sales are "sluggish".
Since I have trouble waiting, I got a X5 35d for my wife. Incidentally, the dealer puts in Castrol SLX A3/B4/C3 in the free oil changes for 1st 50K, but the bottle doesn't specifically say LL-04....
Even though it's a 5200 lb SUV, it does ~21.5 mpg in city driving and 27-30 on the highway.

Charlie
Unimog U500/Unicat camper/Delvac 1 SHC

I would like to second the recommendation for the Mobil-1 ESP Formula 5W-30.

It carries the BMW LL-04 approval, has low ash, sulphur and phosphorous for the exhaust system, and it's available at PepBoys for $6,99 per liter. PepBoys also carries the Mercedes 5W-40 that is recommended for their DPF equipped diesel for the same price.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Im waiting for a 123d convertible...

Has BMW confirmed that it's coming to the US?

Nah, I can dream though.

Likely Ill end up with a 135i vert.

Burpelson said:
Valvoline's website says their SynPower MST 5w-40 is pending official approval by BMW.I called them and they said the formulation is identical to the 5w-30,which has official factory approval.

Wow! You found Valvoline MST? I've never ever seen it on shelves before...

The regular SynPower 5w-40 (no mention of MST on the label) that sits at most NAPA stores lists BMW LL-04 spec on the back.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The regular SynPower 5w-40 (no mention of MST on the label) that sits at most NAPA stores lists BMW LL-04 spec on the back.

I'll have to look for that..
55.gif

Originally Posted By: djlinux64

The only other explanation is that Ford engines suck. That car was in tip top shape and completely babied for its entire life... Poor thing - but its gone now.

Bet it was the 3.8l V6. Aluminum head warping problems. A lousy engine design. The newer Duratec engine family is excellent and bullet-proof....Ford did learn something...

Yup,a NAPA store near my job had 9 quarts in stock for about $6.50/qt.

Yup,a NAPA store near my job had 9 quarts in stock for about $6.50/qt.

Did it actually say MST anywhere on the label?

Not so sure I trust what Valvoline writes on their bottles.

THe 5w40 is listed as MB 229.51 apec, but nowhere on the bottle does it indicate that this is the MST oil

Several people have posted on various forums (mostly VW-related) about the MST 5w40 only being available in 55 gallon drums in the US, with individual quarts being unavailable. Not sure how true this is, but it's what I read.

Valvoline prints on their Synpower 20w50 bottle that it meets MB 229.51, which I have not seen indicated by Mercedes on any of the available 229.51 spec oil lists.

I would stick with the Castrol dealer oil or Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 for that car. I would imagine the 5w40 FM, which we are using in both our diesel MB's, would also work very well in that application.

Only the MST versions are listed on Mercedes on-line reference to operational fluids, sheet 229.51.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back