If you had to pick ONE oil as the best overall....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Cost no factor? Amsoil 0W-30 SSO.

Cost a factor? Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30.

x2

Sounds good to me!
thumbsup2.gif

In Canada I'd have to say Esso XD-3 0w-40 or 0w-30 given that it's probably equal to TDT in most every respect and sells for almost half the price of any other synthetic here.

Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is generally considered a better oil than M1 TDT 5w40, looking at the approvals and certs it has vs. TDT, and the assumed basestock.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is generally considered a better oil than M1 TDT 5w40, looking at the approvals and certs it has vs. TDT, and the assumed basestock.

I'm running the older TDT, the CI-4+ formula which is identical to the older Delvac 1, and has all the same certs.

It's a slow mover up here, so there seems to be lots of stock of the old stuff.

Originally Posted By: buster
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.asp

I would have to go with M1 TDT 5w40.

I was looking at OVERK1LL's UOA and then looked at the PDS for M1 TDT. All things considered (performance & availability), M1 TDT is the best oil out there IMO.

I would not hesitate to use this oil in a high performance gas engine either. I know it's holding up very well in many of the VW engines too. All things considered, I'm not sure this oil can be beat. Rotella 5w40 & SSO would be up there also.

Redline 5W-30 for high temp performance and deposit control/film strength/HTHS/wear control.

Amsoil SSO for extended drains.

Since I don't like the idea of 15K+ mile OCIs, I'd have to go with Redline.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Redline 5W-30

You can't be serious?

Dead serious, why? Do you like VIIs, do you have something against POE's inherent superiority regarding high temp deposit control, film strength, and it's ability to cling to metal; or against Redline's moly/ZDDP heavy add pack?

Yes, cost no object with sub-10,000 mile OCIs in mind, I would pick Redline every time.

Originally Posted By: Vspec
Redline in any weight

X2

Amsoil ACD straight 30 is also a very good oil for a very good price.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Redline 5W-30

You can't be serious?

Dead serious, why? Do you like VIIs, do you have something against POE's inherent superiority regarding high temp deposit control, film strength, and it's ability to cling to metal; or Redline's moly/ZDDP heavy add pack?

Yes, he does. Try out the other thread "only the facts" and you'll see the hatred for Redline.

I just saw we're only doing one oil. It would have to be Redline 10w-30. It can satisfy the 40wt specs and as I've proven it can be run in 20wt spec'd engines. 5w-30 I'm sure will do the same thing.

The question is kinda like asking, "what is the BEST detergent out there? And by the way, I mean *ONE* detergent to wash your car, your dishes, your laundry, your hair, your dog, mop the floor, clean the windows, shampoo the rug, clean the oil stains off your concrete garage floor, and your wife's antique wool sweater that belonged to her grandmother."

Given that, I'd have to pick Woolite. It might suck at cleaning the garage floor, the dishes, the car, and most everything else but at least my wife wouldn't cut parts of me off for ruining the sweater.

grin2.gif

I think I get the basic idea, though, and I agree that M1 TDT is a pretty solid all-around pick. But back to the detergent example... I've got 3 engines that really don't want Xw40 oil. Of those, 2 are flat-tappet muscle car engines, and one is a modern roller-cammed economy car engine. One size just doesn't fit all, so I use RTS, RP 5w30, and M1 5w30AFE in my lil' fleet at the moment.

Last edited:
I love the fact that Redline uses majority POE base stocks, but that doesn't mean it's a better oil than one that is majority PAO based.

I was just toying around with the idea that if you had to pick ONE oil, what would it be. SSO is high on my list. Redline's UOA's have been very mediocre, for what they are worth. (opinions vary)

TDT and D1 have always been a cut above the normal Mobil 1 line. Different oils for different applications but in their respected categories they seem to hold up a lot better than Mobil 1.

I would have to use TDT also,GREAT oil!!!!

i thought about buying a 55 gal drum of it for all my stuff and family.

the only reason i think i haven't is because i like shaking my oil and kinda hard to shake a drum,lol

I can't believe that nobody on this forum has said GC or asked if said chosen oil could be mixed with auto-rx.

If I could only run a single oil it would only make sense to choose a grade that can be run in the vast majority of engines so a 5w-30 is probably a fair place to start. Some older vehicles don't like synthetic oils because there are too many leaks so I'd eliminate synthetics and go back to a blend.

So my choice would be any 5w-30 blend and the OCI can be adjusted to better suite the cars needs.

Originally Posted By: buster
Redline's UOA's have been very mediocre, for what they are worth.

I've seen some pretty outstanding Redline UOAs, especially consecutive UOAs.

But what really makes a UOA mediocre? A few ppm of a wear metal or two? I will admit Redline falls short of Amsoil's TBN retention, but as someone who doesn't like the idea of going over 10,000 mi OCIs under typical mixed driving conditions anyway that doesn't concern me in the least.

Quote:
I love the fact that Redline uses majority POE base stocks, but that doesn't mean it's a better oil than one that is majority PAO based.

It does mean that it will have some inherent performance advantages though, and it will have the potential to be a better final product assuming the blender knows what they are doing. I truly believe Redline knows what they are doing. Every Redline product I have ever used has been absolutely top notch, be it fuel additives, assembly lube or grease. Amsoil and Redline are the two boutique manufacturers that I actually trust.

True Ben.

German Castrol was the oil of choice a few years ago. Today, not so much.

I was just thinking the other day as to how far I might push my Sienna w/ the present regimen of adding a qt of synth every 2k and just not OC for a good while. Presently I'm dropping in PP on top of the original Pennz. HM & PP mix fill. But I was thinking, to do this right, to hit the oil with the most robust topoff available and seriously extend the OC - that would be M1 TDT (assuming an original M1 fill).

How do you know the M1 TDT/PP/PHM add packs won't compete with one another?

I really don't understand this fascination with mixing oils. I can see it in a pinch, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back