hemi tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the usual hemi tick which is extremely loud at idle. After putting in Mobil 1 it seems to have gotten a bit louder. Are there any different synthetics that are more quiter than others. I have less than 1500 miles.TIA, Sal

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
I have the usual hemi tick which is extremely loud at idle. After putting in Mobil 1 it seems to have gotten a bit louder. Are there any different synthetics that are more quiter than others. I have less than 1500 miles.TIA, Sal

Are you using the grade oil the OM suggested, which is 5W20. PP 5W20 seems to work well, why not give that a try.

AD

I think that you should take it to the dealer first and at least have them listen to it to see if it is a normal condition first...

Mobil 1 has the reputation of making the HEMI tick louder. Why I have no clue but I have heard that from countless HEMI owner's who have used it only to have it make the tick louder/more noticeable?

The best oil to quiet it down in my experience( plus what I have read online from others )has been Royal Purple. Made a very significant difference in my 04 that had the tick bad. Lessened it a good 75-80% or more. I am using it in my 08 and have no tick at all to this point( 8300 ).

Unfortunately, RP does not meet all of your warranty requirements as it is only API certified to service level SL thus it does not/can't carry the Starburst. Doesn't meet warranty requirements for my 08 either but I decided to risk it.

There are a lot of good quality synthetic oils out there to choose from. Unfortunately, I honestly have only heard about RP quieting the tick down on a consistant basis. I am not even saying use it just explaining it is the only oil I know of to actually make a difference with the tick sound level.

You are the first 09 owner I have heard of to have the tick. Might be worth a visit to the dealer to make sure that is actually what it is. There was a lot of work done on the 5.7L for 09 so maybe it isn't the tick but rather something is wrong.

I would try out Kendall GT1/76 Lubricants full synthetic( same oil )or Penzoil Platinum as my next step. Amsoil XL may be a possibility as well?

The three oils I have used in my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi have all done fine and I don't think I ever had a significant tick. They are Havoline(old non DS formula), Valvoline WB, and Pennzoil YB. I stuck with the 3000 mile severe service interval and haven't had any engine issues at 64,000 miles. Maybe consider a quality SM dino, at least for the first 10,000 to 12,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: renos09ram

If you are getting lifter noise perhaps you need to consider steping up to a heavier oil. Say 5-30. I use 5-30 and 10-30 in all my Fords and my engines are very quite. Just a thought.

They spec 5W20, and it is a requirement for the warranty. If the noise is that bad bring it back and let them check it out. If could be an injector noise too, let them figure it out.

AD

Could it be the engineers caved in to the bean counters and are using too light of oil for that engine? I'm not trying to srart another too thin oil deal here but???

tig1 - What may be the correct oil for some cylinder or cam control mechanisms may not be correct for other parts.
So I see your point.

Originally Posted By: RiotGrip
The three oils I have used in my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi have all done fine and I don't think I ever had a significant tick. They are Havoline(old non DS formula), Valvoline WB, and Pennzoil YB. I stuck with the 3000 mile severe service interval and haven't had any engine issues at 64,000 miles. Maybe consider a quality SM dino, at least for the first 10,000 to 12,000 miles?

^^2nd. Try a good dino.

Castrol GTX 5W-20 is the thickest dino 20-weight you can get, at 9cst/100C. It's a very good oil, and should work well...

The hemi tick they are talking about is not a 20w vs 30w thing , it is a well known noise these things make at idle that sounds sort of like a lifter but not. our 04 at work has it and nothing but 5w30 since new, it is an annoying noise and would drive me nuts if I owned the truck.

The "hemi tick" is, unfortunately, a fact of life. There's all sorts of scuttlebutt about various oils making it better/worse. In short, unless it's pretty loud, your stealer is going to say "it's normal."

Going to a heavier oil is bad advice. That engine likely has the Chrysler MDS system that shuts down 4 of the cylinders under specific low load conditions to increase gas mileage. It will not function correctly with heavier oil so stick to 5W-20.

Last edited:
Like I said take it to the dealer and let them listen to it and document it even if they say it is normal...however you say that in itailian...that way if something goes bad down the road you have it documented...

Have I got a story for you, in June I purchased a new truck 4.7 litre Dodge Ram. It had a very loud engine tick, brought it to the dealership and they changed my lifters, which made a small difference. Two days later I had a complete brake failure (MC). With a kid on the way I traded in my truck for the Dodge Ram Hemi and took a 6,000.00 loss on my trade. Now I hear this tick again and I know it's normal beacuse I just found out they all make that noise. I am starting to get use to it and the insults, (Hey is that a diesel. Could it be a gas octane problem? I use Mobil 1 5w 20 as recommended and use 87 octane gas, Do you think I should try a few tanks of 89 Octane?

Last edited:
Just because it ticks does not a problem make. My Speed 3 has DI and it make a tickity sound that is normal. If it were my HEMI Ram I would use PP 5W/20 and change it every 5,000 miles.

I heard the PP might be a bit quiter than M1. On the Dodge forum they also talked about staying with the Chrysler oil filter because other oil filters have a tendency to make the tick louder. The problem is I changed my brand oil filter to Napa Gold and M1 oil at the same time , so I am not sure which one of the two made my engine tick louder.

The oil filter is completelly unrelated to the infamous HEMI tick. If someone claims to have seen results as far as quieting the tick down by changing filters than the noise they are hearing was not the tick.

The tick is caused by one of 3 possible culprits...

1 - Valves
2 - Lifters
3 - Pushrods

I honestly do not believe anyone knows the 100% truth as to what is behind the tick. May even be all 3 just different in each instance. I have read about all 3 being behind the tick and once the parts were replaced the tick was gone. The most recent cause du'jour is the push rods. That is what everyone says is behind it these days. Back in 04-05 it was valves.

Unfortunately the HEMI's mostly tick. Not all of them but most do( at least 03-08 models ). Sounds awful I agree but not much you can do about it short of throwing parts at it until it hopefully goes away. That is $$$ and no guarantee. The good news is the tick, like GM's infamous piston slap issue, does not seem to effect the engine longevity wise. There are plenty of 100K+ HEMI's out there that have ticked from the begining.

Try PP. Might help. However, if you use a MOPAR filter to try and quiet the tick you are wasting $$$. Use it if you want to use it because you think it is a good filter but don't do it to quiet the tick. Not happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back