Car oil in your push mower??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys I have been using car oil 5w30 in my mower's for years. At the moment I have a Honda the 5 hp push mower 6t years old. Since it is rear wheel drive should I be using a Jaso oil??

What's a "Jaso oil?"

And I've been using Syntec 0w30, or lately, Amsoil's 30 HD in my 6.5 B&S OHV Troybilt. Zero issues. For years.

If you've been using "car oil 5w30" in your mowers "for years," apparently you should not worry about switching to Jaso oil. Whatever that is.

Quote:

Jaso oil?

Not that hard to figure out. It is the Japanese Auto Spec Organization. JASO specs are pretty well known in the motorcycle crowds.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I use my offcuts from my car oil changes, or motorcycle changes. Whatever.

Are you saying that you use your spent OC oil from your car and/or motorcycle in your lawn mower? If so, it seems like it would work but I'd bet the motor wouldn't last anywhere near as long as with fresh oil.

I'm going to start using fresh car oil in my 1993 Murray Mower with B&S motor. I have 2 or 3 quarts of fresh stuff that's been hanging around for years that I'm going to use in it. I can't see throwing it away.

Originally Posted By: Lurch
Originally Posted By: bepperb
I use my offcuts from my car oil changes, or motorcycle changes. Whatever.

Are you saying that you use your spent OC oil from your car and/or motorcycle in your lawn mower? If so, it seems like it would work but I'd bet the motor wouldn't last anywhere near as long as with fresh oil.

I'm going to start using fresh car oil in my 1993 Murray Mower with B&S motor. I have 2 or 3 quarts of fresh stuff that's been hanging around for years that I'm going to use in it. I can't see throwing it away.

I believe he means that he is using the new oil that is left over from an oil change. Like if his cars calls for 4.5 quarts, you would be left with .5 quarts so he would use that in the mower.

I was using M1 10W30 in my Honda GXV140 at first. I've started using Amsoil ASE, I don't know if I'll stick with it. I get noticeable ticking from the pushrods and higher overall noise. I haven't taken measurements of the overall noise levels, it's admittedly subjective, kind of like "M1 noise".

I used some leftover XD3 15W40 in a power washer with a GC160 on it. It was really nice and quiet on that. I'm seriously thinking about changing the whole "fleet" to 15W40 HDEO when I'm out of ASE.

The winter stuff gets GC.

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I was using M1 10W30 in my Honda GXV140 at first. I've started using Amsoil ASE, I don't know if I'll stick with it. I get noticeable ticking from the pushrods and higher overall noise. I haven't taken measurements of the overall noise levels, it's admittedly subjective, kind of like "M1 noise".

I used some leftover XD3 15W40 in a power washer with a GC160 on it. It was really nice and quiet on that. I'm seriously thinking about changing the whole "fleet" to 15W40 HDEO when I'm out of ASE.

The winter stuff gets GC.

I've always wondered about the 40 C temperature viscosity for these small engine with a splash system lubrication.

Delo 400 Sae 30w 40 C - 105 100 C - 12.1

Delo 400 Sae 40w 40 C - 146 100 C - 14.9

Delo 400 15w-40 40 C - 125 100 C - 15.7

Delo 400 10w-30 40 C - 80 100 - 12

When I tried the Delo 400 10w-30 there was more rattle and felt less stable that the Delo 400 Sae 30w. I use the Delo 400 Sae 30w/40w, tweak them as engine ages. Works well for my application. No cold starts here 72 F - 88 F

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
Since it is rear wheel drive should I be using a Jaso oil??

Why does being RWD make a difference? Just asking.

I use Super Tech full syn from Wal Mart (10W-30) in the Toro RWD mower. It seems to "like" it.

ST full synthetic 10W30 was, surprisingly, ACEA A3 rated. This requires a HTHS >=3.5cP@150C. This is good for a hot mower. If this is still true I do not know. I know they changed bottle shape, so they might have changed formulation.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
This is good for a hot mower.

This is what I noticed too. Yesterday I checked the oil when the engine was smoking hot and I was very impressed at how the oil stayed on the dipstick. It seemed nice and "thick" and didn't drip off the d/s. I was very surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back