Mobil Delvac 10w30 in a gas engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2CVLMOMobil_Delvac_1300_Super.asp

I'm impressed with the spec's of this oil. Both meet API SM and have a Tbn of 10.5. Has anyone considered using the 10w30 in their car?

Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 and 15W-40 are extra high performance diesel engine oils that help extend engine life in the most severe on and off-highway applications while delivering outstanding performance in modern, high-output, low-emission engines including those with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Aftertreatment Systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOCs). Fully backwards compatible, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super will also deliver the same exceptional performance in older conventional engines. As a result, they exceed the API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS and CH-4 service categories as well as key Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) requirements for 2007 engines.

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super is the result of extensive cooperative development work with major OEMs and is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy duty applications and operating environments found in the trucking, mining, construction, quarrying, and agricultural industries. These products will provide outstanding protection in the most demanding diesel engines of Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Mercedes Benz, Navistar, Volvo, and others. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines and mixed fleets.

Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 and 15W-40 are formulated with a) optimized baseoil technology containing severely hydroprocessed base stocks, b) patented Trimer* additive technology and c) a mixed detergent system to deliver cutting-edge performance in both new and older engines. In addition to assuring excellent control of oil thickening due to soot build-up and outstanding TBN retention for long drain intervals, Mobil Delvac 1300 Super's advanced technology also provides outstanding resistance to oil consumption, oxidation, corrosive and abrasive wear, and high temperature deposits.

* Trimer additive technology is a patented additive technology that imparts outstanding wear performance, effective oxidation resistance and improved frictional properties while contributing little to the overall ash content enabling Mobil Delvac 1300 Super to deliver performance beyond the boundaries of industry requirements of API CJ-4.

HDMO is great, if you can find it in 10w30. Most places I go only have 15w40. Murrays used to carry Motorcraft Diesel in 10w30 quarts, but looks like that is no longer true.

I do run Rotella 10w-30 in lots of my equipment. Not everything, but a most of it. (Dmax diesel, Mustang, and all my air-cooled 4-cycle lawn equipment such as mower, tiller, generators. And eventually my Goldwing).

Last edited:
I was thinking of running this in the Xterra.

Originally Posted By: buster
I was thinking of running this in the Xterra.

FYI. I should have a UOA for my Xterra using Rotella in the next month or so.

It looks like an interesting oil. I wonder how well distributed the 10W-30 version is. Is is sold at many or any chain stores?

The decent 30 HDMOs that I've come across in the Oz range are fleet oils only available in 205L drums.

The 10w-30 is very hard to find in small quantites. I buy the 1300 Delvac mx in bulk for the plant I manage. I wanted to run the 10w-30 in the company truck, but all they had was the 50 gallon drums to offer. The local distributor said he could not find quart bottles or five gallon drums. This oil is excellent. We have used it for years in our log loaders with great sucess along with UOA's to maximize drain intervals. We will run changes to 275 hours with minimal wear metals. Our Komatsu and JD log loaders have over 20,000 hours utilizing this oil. The 10w-30 would be excellent in the area of preventing deposits and wear in a gas engine in my oppinion.

I agree. Hard to find and would definitely be great in a gas engine.

"Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 10W-30 and 15W-40 are formulated with a) optimized baseoil technology containing severely hydroprocessed base stocks,"

I was think of using this as my upcoming AutoRX rinse phase ... but this line bothers me
frown.gif
Severly hydroprocessed base stocks seem to imply a GRP III pseudosyn base stock. I am trying to use GrpII or II+ mineral only to maximize AutoRX effects. That being said I think it is wonderful if you are getting a gallon of GrpIII Delvac for only 10.50$ at Wally World. (whereas Castrol Syntec is 2x-2.5x that price for GrpIII)

What do you guys think Delvac 1300 = GrpIII $ Steal?

Have they changed distribution on the 10w-30? It was years ago, but at that time it was only available in bulk. No individual gallons available. Sopus appears to be the 10w-30 of wide availability in HDEO.

I wondered about using it in my diesel during the winter. Or mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with Delvac 15w40 for winter use.

Depends upon what your diesel equipment is ... but it's likely that you'd be fine.

OTOH, it's rarely, if ever, cold enough in NC to warrant the "need" for 10w-30 over 15w-40. I'd probably use 15w-40 year round in your environment.

You can buy it under the Caterpillar name, comes in the same one gallon jug as the 15W40 but it says Caterpillar on it, has the same specs.

For those thst don't know Monil makes Cat oil.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I wondered about using it in my diesel during the winter. Or mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with Delvac 15w40 for winter use.

Sorry...I have a 1993 MB 300D. This one has the OM602 which is a 5 cylinder diesel with turbocharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back