What oil do you suggest? 2002 Honda Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 CrV which I think has the same engine because my chilton manual covers the CRV and the Civic... anyway. Walmart 5w-30 synthetic, pureone filter 5,000 OCI. 96,000 miles no problems.

The CR-V has a B20 engine, Ghost. It's a similar engine to the B18 in the Integra and the B16 found in older Civic Si (and JDM Type R) & CR-X variants.

Honda calls for 5W-20 in this app, and there's no reason not to use it. Every 5k with 5W-20 dino and this engine will run forever... literally. Synthetic is fine, but definatley overkill for such a short OCI.

Thanks ThirdYe, Walmart synthetic is cheap and I feel good changing every 5,000miles. Oil changes and such are my escape from my lovely wife and kids. I can make an oil change last all day... she doesn't know any different... hee, hee, hee.

My father in law always over-maintained his vehicles and back in the 70's when no one got over 120,000 miles, his cars and trucks ran like new at 250,000 and more miles.

Quote:
Actually, the oil recommended by Honda for the OP's engine is 5W-20, but I happen to agree with you that he'd be better off running a 5W-30.
No, surely you jest.
LOL.gif
j/k

IMO, the OP should run the weight his Civic owners manual calls for.

As for dino or synthetic, his choice. But if he was only going to do a 5k/6mon OCI then I'd go with a name brand dino. If he was going to run synthetic, I'd feel comfortable extending the OCI to 7-7.5k/1year. Especially with 80% highway.

Well, the HP version of this engine calls for 5w-30, so a hard-driven manual could easily be considered for up-grading.

GhostFlame, thanks for saying what nobody else here as yet to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back