Handgun permit holders, do you carry your gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my wife have handgun permits. In Indiana, the law doesn't specify that one should carry them concealed so we are free to carry them on our person exposed. The Law Enforcement suggests to conceal the weapon so that not to make the people around you nervous.

My issue is that I do not like to carry a gun. Number one, I do not want to leave it in my glove box when at work. Number two, I often am on the premises of a local university where it is illegal to possess a firearm. And number three would be that I do not like carrying a heavy piece of metal on me at all times (my PPK style gun fits nicely in my suit pocket but is still heavy).

Are there other carry permit holders who do not carry, or am I the only one?

My father only carries in some situations. Trips, certain parts of town, etc. Just whenever you're most likely to need it.

I do think that carrying it exposed is a very, very bad idea even if it's allowed. There's no element of surprise. If someone approaches you knowing you have a gun, you basically have no choice but to un holster it and possibly use it. I prefer to have the option to walk away.

I carry all the time.

My lightest carry weapon is 17oz loaded. That and a good holster I really forget I'm carrying.

Also with Cargo pants a pocket holster works great!

Check out Crossbreed holsters. --> link

They are the ticket.
thumbsup2.gif
I've got a few and if its the 17oz small one or a full size they are good holsters.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I carry all the time.

Do you have a special bedtime holster?

I imagine a holster made from the most supple Corinthian leather, so you won't hurt yourself when you roll over.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I carry all the time.

My lightest carry weapon is 17oz loaded. That and a good holster I really forget I'm carrying.

Also with Cargo pants a pocket holster works great!

Check out Crossbreed holsters. --> link

They are the ticket.
thumbsup2.gif
I've got a few and if its the 17oz small one or a full size they are good holsters.

Take care, Bill

I love both my crossbreeds. I think my lightest carry gun is 26oz. But it does carry 20 rounds, and has a 5" barrel.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

My issue is that I do not like to carry a gun.

sorry but i don't understand why you got a permit after reading your statement.

Originally Posted By: dugw
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

My issue is that I do not like to carry a gun.

sorry but i don't understand why you got a permit after reading your statement.

Got it so that I could carry it whenever I wanted it. But after some time I realized that I did not like lugging around a gun.

Almost never in Pa. Once in a while when I drive out to Pittsburgh. I'll also take the .380 when I go hiking on a little used abandoned rail line. That's mainly do fend off a possible wild dog. Serious hiking I'll stuff the 1911 in my backpack.

The likelihood of needing it in my area is about the magnitude of getting struck with lightening. I do keep it within easy reach in the shanty though.

go to a gun store and handle an air weight model. for instance a wheel gun like a smith 386pd. the holster will weigh as much as the gun (unloaded). i have a smith 5906 and hate carrying that because it is too heavy. go small and light. you won't want to use this for target practice because it is hard on the wrists. find something comfortable and you will forget you have it with you.

My problem, I can't carry it enough. I work on a military reservation, so I can't bring it with me. Not even suppose to keep it in the car and it's not worth losing my job over. On family trips, I'm always packing but 80% of my life, I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back