Motul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

I took my bike to a mechanic who is considered widely to be THE guy when it comes to my particular bike brand. I asked him what he thought about the Torco my dealer uses and the M1 V twin i just started using. In no uncertain terms he told me to use Motul 5100. he mentioned it will shift better with it. Thinking about what he said it occurred to me that maybe he didn't so much mean that it's better oil than what i'm using, but just that it sifts better. And to me that doesn't matter because mine shifts 100% fine as is. So i don't know if he also meant it's the best oil to use overall, but he did say thats what most of his customers prefer and all he uses. What are your opinions on this oil? I hear a lot more about amsoil amd M1 bike oils than i do motul. Is this some sort of "insiders" oil or what?

It is very good oil, it is just expensive and not as widely available as M1 or Amsoil. I think you will find most people who run italian bikes like Ducati and Aprilia use Motul, the Aprilia race team based near me uses it. Also M1 and Amsoil have their car oils so they have much more widely known name recognition.

Motul is very popular worldwide as a motorcycle lube. It's used in MotoGP a lot. The reason they're not as popular here (except in exotic and sportbike circles) is that they just don't have a lot of distribution here yet. That's also the reason why it's expensive.
wink.gif

I can't say whether Motul 5100 is the best for your app, but Motul makes good stuff for sure.

No, he doesn't sell any products. He is a service only business. Sounds like i will have to give motul a go next time, but i still can't help but wonder what the reason for semi is. I my have to ditch the advice on motul 5100 and use on of thier full synth oils. In a thread where i asked what the purpose of semi is, some of you said because it's cheaper to make. But since then i'm noticing a lot of high dollar semi like this motul 5100, so it can't be that. There must be another reason why full synth isn't necassarily always better than semi or pure dino. If it's superior to dino why mix dino in to create blends?

Ok, i just talked to a shop owner that sells motul and asked him whether i should use synth or semi. He asked what bike and i told him it's a 1600 twin cruiser and he said semi. When i asked why he said because with the huge pistons there is more clearance and synth tend yo get past the rings easier. This sounds sorta suspect to me, but he sells bother synth and semi motul so theres no reason for bias. In fact, the synth is more expensive. The mech i mentioned earlier recommended 5100 too. Maybe theres something to that.

Motul 5100 may be high dollar compared to other oils, but it should be a lot cheaper than Motul's fully synthetic stuff. Point is, all else equal, syn is still better than dino.

Think of it this way: Motul is Ferrari, and a company like Mobil is Porsche. Even the cheapest Ferrari is more expensive than most Porsches, but that doesn't mean it's "better." Ferraris are just more expensive in general. Which one do you pick? It depends on your preferences and how you're using it.

Daz, forgive me for saying so, but, man, you're sweating the oil for your new bike way too much. I've followed all of the threads you've started and you are way too paranoid on this one. I know you want the best for your baby, but of the oils you've discussed here on BITOG, I'd bet you wouldn't get 10 hours extra engine life from using any of them. I'd say to try them all, in turn, and do a series of UOAs and let the facts speak for themselves. I do not mean to be offensive, quite the contrary, you've talked on nothing but great oils, your engine would be so lucky to use any of them. You bought the M1 V-Twin, run it through two OCIs and then do a UOA and adjust from there. I'd bet your engine won't know the difference. I race a 700cc single quad and have obsessed oils for some time, and have tried many different types of synth and semi-synth and most of them produce very similar UOAs. I can only attribute this to the fact that once you reach a certain level of quality, or quantity of additive, they all perform similarly. The exception is shearing, but even when an oil shears nearly 2 grades(40wt to a low 30wt) it still seems to provide protection for the engine.

Yes, i agree....thats is, with everything except one thing....I'm not paranoid. You have to understand that posting here and asking questions takes noting away from me....i have more time then i know what to do with, it costs nothing to post here, the worse that can happen is i may learn something, and i enjoy ready the replies and seeing it i can benefit in any way. But paranoid? Not in the least. i could go on using any of those oils and i'm not the least bit worried. But it's like this....why not take advantage of a free resource like this? Everything to gain, nothing to lose ! Worse case scenario, i spent some time, tho thats fine because i have too much as it is. Best case, i find a reason to use a certain oil that while probably nothing more than false peace of mind, what the heck !

Motul 300 is the full synth and it is really expensive and green. It is a full Group 5 Ester oil. They are great for cleaning and stay in grade very well. I have never used a complete fill of the 300 because of its price ($16/qt) but I have used 5100 with 1 qt of 300 just to clean everything out. I will say that although I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w50 on a regular basis the Motul does seem to quiet the trans and valves better. If it was more available and cheaper I would probably switch. I will have to try a fill in the summer to see if the bike runs any cooler.

Go ahead. Pay the $16.00/qt. and 1000 mile OCIs. As previously stated, you will not likely feel/see any significant performance gains nor extended engine life. You will however make Motul very happy by dumping relatively large sums of your hard earned cash into their coffers. I on the other hand who operates eight motorcycles, two liquid cooled ATVs, tons of OPE, a truck and a car will stick with Rotella or Delvac. The $14.00 I save per quart will go toward better things. Like maybe a nice juicy T-bone instead of a Big Mac! Or maybe higher quality tires etc...

Get my drift?

Originally Posted By: daz
he said because with the huge pistons there is more clearance and synth tend to get past the rings easier.
Classify that in the totally false myth department, along with "never use the front brake" and "helmets cause neck injuries." Consumption can be caused by using too thin a viscosity, but not by using synthetic.

IMO Motul makes some of the best and most robust oil's for Motorycles. If I had only one bike and it held only 1-2 quarts I would maybe buy the stuff. If a any company gave me free oil and I could choose, it would probbaly be Motul.

Since non of this is the case and I have numerous bikes and change my oil @ 2500 miles. Good ole 15w40 Rotella works fine for me. Even in my 180hp beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back