does tire dressing help tires or hurt them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
conventional wisdom - I would think that tire dressing or 303 would help keep tire sidewalls from dry rot. although Carlisle tire and Discount tire (on their websites) both say "do not use tire dressing"

comments?

I don't put any on, and my tires seem to hold up just fine.

I used to put dressing on my s-10 when I had it, but it never lasted anyways....

The best information I have says that the rubber in tires is more affected by temperature than UV rays - and since reaction rates double for every 10°F rise in temperature, then anti-oxidants are more important than UV protection.

But you should be aware than the rubber in tires includes waxes to form a barrier on the surface to slow down the oxidation, as well as anti-oxidants (AO's) to give the oxygen a more reactive surface than the rubber.

Some tire dressings attack the wax barrier - some even attack the the AO's - very bad. The only dressing I think anyone should consider is one with AO's listed as one of the ingredients - and even then, it is suspect!

BTW, it was mentioned in another thread that the waxes and AO's form a brown "crust" on the surface of the tire. The color is from the color of the AO's, and while brown is a common color, I've also seen blue and red.

303 is supposed to help. I do know it makes the tires black again, and when it wears off they return to their usual shade of lighter black.

Haven't seen anything saying it's bad, or good either...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
303 is supposed to help. I do know it makes the tires black again, and when it wears off they return to their usual shade of lighter black.

Hmmm...never tried it on tires..

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
- and since reaction rates double for every 10°F rise in temperature,

Not to pick nits Capri, but I believe it is °Centigrade (or °Kelvin) ... 18F°.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Hmmm...never tried it on tires..

It's good stuff. Makes tires look new instead of like you just greased them like some dressings do.
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/200/tech-facts-volume-1.cfm

They say wipe the overspray off of your wheels. I spray the wheels too, it helps keep brake dust from sticking.

My tires that I sprayed with 303 a week ago still look darned good. I find the shine lasts about 2 weeks, and the tire still looks black for another 3 weeks. After that it slowly reverts back to its pre-treated color.

I buy the $2.79 can of tire dressing at Walmart, and usually apply at every wash. Never had a single problem. I've noticed some work better than others. Aside from that I will continue using them because they turn the tires black. Some look real greasy but I avoid those.

I usually wear tires out far faster than dry rot could ever set in since I drive 20-30k a year.

I think it's mostly harmless, as long as you don't use solvent based or non-silicone tire dressing too often.

Interior protectants like Armor All or F21 have a subtle look, but tend to be washed off the tire. The more durable products tend to have heavier silicones in them (try shaking bottles of cheap vs expensive "clear" tire dressings.) Tire products that are "milky" will be water emulsion based, and are probably best all else being equal.

Black Magic Titanium Matte Finish is unique product since it gives the tires a wonderful flat black look.

I use them sparingly. Once clean and "dressed" with something like Meg's Hotshine, they stay good for months.

Anyway, when you see old dry-rotted or otherwise damaged tires, the damage is not limited to the single sidewall that was treated.

Hi,
tomcat27 - My experience with 303 over several years has been an excellent one. I live in the Tropics and the sun is very hard on most things. 303 on tyre walls has proven to me that it does prevent perishing "cracks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back