1999 Honda Accord Fluids...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. I've got a 1999 Honda Accord 4cyl that I purchased well overdue for an oil change. I, like many of you, wish to maximize the life of my car as much as possible by giving it the best fluids for my uses.

I drive the car daily to and from work (stop and go, 5 miles), make a 100 mile round trip twice weekly, and a 600 mile round trip once monthly - thus approximately 1500 miles a month. I idle for long periods often. I may find redline two or three times a month, but there's not much point, as it's a 4cyl accord...

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Summer ranges from 60's to high 90's.

Please recommend the best fluids, (focusing on engine oil, as this is the forum for that, but if I can squeeze all into one thread and be most efficient, that'd be ideal). So far this is what my research has produced as the "bests". Feel free to critique:

Engine Oil: Amsoil SSO 0W-30
Tranny Fluid: Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Coolant: Honda Type 2
Power Steering: Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Occasional Gas Additive: Amsoil PI
Washer Fluid: RainX
Brake Fluid: ATE Type 200

Thanks!

-Evan

I really like the Rain-X washer fluid, you're using the orange 2-in-1? The rest looks excellent to me, except the power steering fluid should ONLY be Honda OEM PSF. It's not specified to use ATF.

Alright - I don't think I can edit, can I? Let's just assume the PSF is now changed to Honda OEM
wink.gif

Other thoughts/suggestions? Anything better or more practical?

-Evan

How often do you plan on changing your oil? SSO is excellent, I would use that in a heartbeat. Amsoil ATF works excellent in Honda AT's (I'm using it right now with excellent results since I bought my car).

Last edited:
Probably every 5k, or more if it's okay with the sso. Perhaps every 10k with one or two filter swaps in the meantime?

Ps. Do I need to flush the atf a few times or just drain and fill? It's got 130k even as of today, and God knows if it has ever been changed before...

-Evan

Is there a reason you want to use brake fluid intended for racing applications?

Dumping SSO at 5k is a huge waste IMO. If you're going to do 5k intervals just use a good conventional oil.

Would you suggest 10k? I'm really up for whatever, the less often the better, as long as the amount of wear doesn't start to creep up too much. I'm very open to advice!

The above list would be overly expensive for your car... IMO.

10000 on SSO, M1, PP probably is the upper limit but reasonable. I've been using walmart synthetics and changing at 7500 miles.

The coolant and PSF should be Honda. Any DOT 4 brake fluid is fine, don't use DOT 5 and a racing fluid or anything mail order is ridiculous.

For ATF, search for Z1 on this site and you'll get a variety of opinions. For me, an automatic Honda is a bit of a sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back