Checking Oil..Hot Or Cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a BMW 335d which,unlike some current BMWs,has a dipstick.However,the manual seems to say that you should check the oil level while it's warm/hot.I was always taught that the best time was when the vehicle had been sitting for hours...on level ground.

Am I missing something here? TIA.

VWs are the same way.

The dipstick is calibrated for warm oil checking. This allows for easy checking at every fill-up.
banana2.gif

Checking it cold *may* lead to a false-high reading.

Just check it hot and make sure it's at the correct level.

Then the next time the car cools down check the level and make a note where it's at on the dipstick and you'll always know where full should be cold.

I always check a few minutes after an oil change, then after that, after sitting all night. I never saw too much difference hot or cold. Best to do as they say since they must have a reason, however minor, being the perfectionists they are.

Be sure to read the vernier scale on the dipstick, it should have that somewhere. BMW should have placed the special microscope for reading the dipstick vernier in the toolkit. Of course the microscope needs to be calibrated with a special temperature compensating instrument first, in order for the process to be completed, finally, within tolerance. (joke)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I always check mine after about 5-10 minutes after shutting off the engine. Many cars recommend this nowadays. Nothing new.

I have done it that way forever.

By the way, congrats on the new car. How do you like that engine?

This is my first diesel and there's only 700 miles on the clock so the jury's still out...but so far,I love it.Unlike some,I'm always easy on the accelerator but I've discovered (by accident) that after a bit of "turbo lag" this thing takes off like a rocketship.I guess it's all that torque.I'll use this "zip" when merging onto highways and during the occasional passing maneuver and that's it.

Also,on a 40 mile interstate drive the other day the trip computer (true,trip computers are often inaccurate) gave a reading of 47 mpg at a steady 65 mph.

I always check mine after about 5-10 minutes after shutting off the engine. Many cars recommend this nowadays. Nothing new.

Mine shows full a couple hours after shutdown....no way after 10 minutes resting.

What oil does BMW recommend for it? I'm guessing something that carries the LL-04 spec? Is the oil change interval variable?

BMW sells their own label which,I think,is made by Castrol.The only thing I've seen (other than BMW's brand) which meets their "LL-04" standard (your guess is correct) is a variation of Mobil 1.As for OCIs...the vehicle tells you when to change.My understanding is that it's usually 10-15K or one year.But I'll be doing 6-7K or 6 months even with the 4 years of "free maintenence" plan that is standard with my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: JimFitzpatrick
The only thing I've seen (other than BMW's brand) which meets their "LL-04" standard (your guess is correct) is a variation of Mobil 1.

If you're looking for other options, I recently saw Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 at NAPA. It carries the LL-04 spec as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back