Which oil for an RX7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My nephew just bought an old 1984 (I think) RX 7, his first car, with 82k miles. Will a SM 10w30 oil be good enough, or does the rotory engine have specific oil that is needed? I have lots of 10w30 Coastal synthetic, 10w30 Tropartic semisynthetic, and Peak 10w30. He's 19 and don't have much money and I don't mind if he takes from my stash.

This rotary style engine does best with a Dino based oil because of the lubrication process. Synthetic will cause consumption and fouling of the spark-plugs in most cases. (Although no engine damage, I wouldn't recommend it)

I would use a quality Dino like Pennzoil Yellow Bottle for this engine in the weight specified in the owners manual. (30wt I think)

cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

Last edited:
You could debate this until you are blue in the face. If you simply look at the facts, you will see that in a car like the RX7 which is designed to burn oil in its combustion process and is an old one at best.. Use the cheapest Dino oil made and watch the level, checking it at least every fuel fill up.

For best information on this topic, an Rx7 specific site like rx7club would best be able to answer this question. However, 10w30 will work fine, just make sure he changes it regularly, no extended drains on these engines.

Low ash 15w-40 diesel oil. The rotary uses gears on the eccentric shaft as well, and usually runs quite hot. Have him check the oil level weekly as well, it mixes oil from the sump with a metering pump for injecting with the fuel.

-James
'85 RX-7 GS (SCCA SpecRX7 racecar)
'85 RX-7 GSL-SE 13B fuel injected
'89 RX-7 GTUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back