Just cut another ingredibly bad Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
No time to upload the pics at the moment, but I just cut open another Fram, and like the rest I've cut, the cardboard doesn't center on the post, leaving a gap for the oil.
It also collapsed.

By the weekend I'll upload the pics.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Only filters i`d use would be OEM,AC Delco,or Wix.

No problem with that list of solid players. I've just tried a NAPA gold in the size that fits the Camry, and upon dissection, I'm very impressed. Alas, somehow, I accidentally formatted the card in my camera, believing I had downloaded the dissection photos to my camera (EDIT: obviously, I meant "computer" not "camera"). I hadn't. . . Anyway, the metal caps had kept the pleats in place, and there was nothing of note (no hunks of metal, no bugs, no nothing) in the filter element. It was just a tad darker on the intake side than it was on the output side. And I'm really starting to believe in the concept of the baseplate end bypass vs the dome bypass. I'm thinking I'm going to be seeing much more of NAPA in the future. A shame they have such a lame oil selection...
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I cut some unused Frams open many years ago, the cardboard caps had gaps on them too.

They also had light layer of rust inside, although some bare sheet metal I had stored near them for a couple of years in my garage had no rust.

That does it. I've bought my last Fram. No need to take the risk. Others out there with better reps for about the same dollar amount.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: levi
No need to take the risk. Others out there with better reps for about the same dollar amount.
Or better for less dollar amount.

My girlfriend just bought a new car a few months ago and installed was a wonderful Fram PH3506. It was in service for just over 3,000 miles. I'll cut it open and post pics when I get a chance. Her car will never see another orange can of doom
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
My girlfriend just bought a new car a few months ago and installed was a wonderful Fram PH3506. It was in service for just over 3,000 miles. I'll cut it open and post pics when I get a chance. Her car will never see another orange can of doom
thumbsup2.gif

At least the engine is broken in now...
LOL.gif
(J/K)

I'm no Fram fan, but should the OP at least let us know what kind of Fram he cut open? Was it an EG, TG or XG? I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty well informed on the build quality of the EG filter and it's apparent weaknesses. I don't think more posts about this filter are necessary.

I'm not a Fram fan at all. I've used them without blowing anything up, but there are so much better buys out there.
Best thing I can say about them is their air filters are mostly pretty decent and they have a good cross reference on their website. The only Fram oil filters I'd use would be maybe the XG.

I know, I know, I have over-used this picture, but I just love it anyway. This is me easily crushing the element of a Fram filter. That's my left hand, of course, and I'm right-handed. The crush took about as much effort as it takes to collapse a 12 oz soda can, maybe a tad less. Even the Toyota-Denso design that has no end caps at all can not be so easily crushed. You could simply NEVER make this happen to a metal end cap design, unless you have a bionic arm, and even then, maybe not. . . Notice especially how the flimsy lightweight centertube has folded in without any meaningful resistance.

HandCrush.jpg

^^^^Good thing that has nothing to do with what a filter actually endures in its life cycle. Millions of vehicles running around on Frams is more powerful then your squeezing pic.

...............And no, I DON'T USE FRAM

Originally Posted By: D Bone
^^^^Good thing that has nothing to do with what a filter actually endures in its life cycle. Millions of vehicles running around on Frams is more powerful then your squeezing pic.

Excellent point.

You know, it's just a filter.

It doesn't have to deflect bullets or resist elephants stomping it.
LOL.gif

It just has to filter your oil passing through it.

I don't use Fram filters either but I'm sure they are adequate for their prescribed usage.

Originally Posted By: D Bone

The point he's making here is how cheap a ss there made, flimsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back