Should I change my oil or hold off for the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 04 Honda Shadow 750 back at the beginning of June and it only had 755 miles on it. Not even broken it yet! Anyway, at 1060 miles, I put some Rotella 5w40 synthetic in it. I just got back from a weekend road trip of almost 600 miles and I am wondering if I should change the oil or if I can just leave it in for the rest of the season. The oil only has 1300 miles on it but since the engine wasn't completely broken in, I am thinking maybe it should be changed. I am running a regular OEM Honda filter, BTW.

I will put the bike away around November and it will sit in the garage until about March of next year. Assuming I make the 600 mile trip a time or two more before winter, should I do an oil change or leave it. Money is tight and I don't want to buy more oil if I don't have to.

+3 I alway's put fresh oil in my bike if it's going to sit for a couple of months. The acids in used oil are corrosive.

I understand the notion of wanting to change the oil out, especially if you hold the idea of it being a 'break-in' oil.

I dumped the factory fill in my bike at the 50 mile mark and then ran dino for the next 450 miles....and then switched to synthetic.

For you....yeah the bike had very limited riding for the first 5 years (750 miles), but after buying you poured in Rotella and have run it another 1,300 miles.

If that bike belonged to me, I would run it with the Rotella fill until November or early December, dump it for winter storage and fill it back up with 5w40.

So in a long way....I am saying that you should do what the guys are saying above. Keep it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back