Big DILEMA- FORD PUMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hy, I am new member and I must say that I have been loking for this kind of forum for very long. I am really interested in oil theory and I can't stop reading...

I need your oppinion!!

I drive Ford Puma 1.7 16v VCT(Zetec-SE, engine was created with help of Yamaha..) 125 bhp
And i can't decide which oil grade is best for my car. I am thinking beetween 5-30 and 5-40(both are approved by ford, 5-30 seral, 5-40 for hot climate). I have a heavy foot and I like to rev it to red so can sae40 offer better protection????

And with advice can you tell me what are the good sides of 30 and 40.

I'd use a good 5w40 with your driving.

The only advantage I see with the 5w30 is slightly better fuel economy, however I doubt it would be enough to notice the difference with your driving style.

Thanks,

Only thing that I don't understand is why the oil politics is soo different from U.S. to Europe

In Europe in some cars they even put 10-60 and in USA there are 5-20 oils that aren't even sold in EU

quote:

Originally posted by Nikola:
Thanks,

Only thing that I don't understand is why the oil politics is soo different from U.S. to Europe

In Europe in some cars they even put 10-60 and in USA there are 5-20 oils that aren't even sold in EU

Vehicles are required to meet Economy specifications in the U.S. CAFE-Corporate Average Fuel Economy. Using thinner oils achieves that.

Hard for me to give you advice not knowing what specific oil you have in mind. Don't know much about your engine. But an oil like German Castrol would give you good economy, low temperature and its a pretty heavy 30 wt. I wouldn't be afraid to recommend that oil almost no matter what you drove
smile.gif

I was more thinking about Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40. But shure I can use your advice. Available oils: Shell(HELIX), Mobil1, Castrol(GTX, RS..), Esso, Valvoline, Havoline, Selenia, Motul(300V), Elf, Agip, Texaco, Total(quarz 9000..)...

???

you like to enjoy some spirited thrashing on a somewhat regular basis...

consider an HDEO like Delvac 1, 5w40. (also sold as Mobil 1 Truck & SUV).

I am not familiar with the Ford Puma. Is is simular to the Ford Focus? What are some of the other engines available in that car? Transmissions? Wheel base? Weight?

I'll defer to others. Nice to see someone from that part of the world.
cheers.gif
What do your summer/winter temperatures run?

While I am a die hard Chevy Guy, I must say that the Puma is a very sporty looking coupe. I especially like the name. Top speed of 126 mph!

Hi there!

I must start this topic again because I need jour advice again!

I have done an ecu modification and some other few. Red line is now at 7600 and it has 20hp more.

I am thinking of buying motul 300V 5w-40 and I am not shure if this is the right one!

So any oil recomandations would be very helpful

Thanks

Nikola, given your driving style I suggest you find a suitable 5W-30 synthetic oil that has a high HT/HS viscosity (3.5 cP's). Higher reving engines don't need the viscous fluid film that slow revolving engines require. Since you don't have autobahn style highways it's unlikely that you'll suffer from high sump temperatures due to prolonged periods of redline driving.

My suggestion is to head down to the local VW dealership and see if they have their 504/507 oils in individual liters that you can buy. I know that they have it in 30 liter drums but it is very inconvenient for resale.

You should start seeing the better quality 5W-30 oils in the stores by early summer.. just look for the manufacturer ratings on the bottles. Volkswagen/Audi, SEAT, Skoda, BMW, Puegeot and Renault all have specifications for high HT/HS light viscosity oils now so it's only a matter of time for them to start showing up in the stores.

Here are some specifications to look for that you'll likely find on the 5W-30 bottles:

Ford WSS-M2C913-B; Ford WSS-M2C913-A; Ford WSS-M2C913-A1

Thanks for the hepl! But isn't vw 504 and 507 a disel oil for tdi engines. Are there any other oil makes like M1, casrol,motul that you would recomend?

I have one more dilema: My engine has nicasil lining and many people say that this tipe engine is very sensitive. Are there any special oil makes for this tipe?

I'm with fowvay you'll have ridiculous oil pressure even with 5w30 at high revs.

Get an oil pressure gauge, you'll see you're in bypass above 2-3000 RPM. Thinner oil will have the same pressure but more flow, a good thing.

Nikola, I searched the internet and every major oil company makes a 504/507 oil in 5W-30 for Europe. For you it's just a matter of picking one that's convenient.. if you so choose this viscosity grade.

As for the application of the 504 and 507, here is what VW had in mind:

VW norm 504.00 = For automobiles using either the long life monitor or not and applicable to gasoline engines.

VW norm 507.00 = For automobiles using either the long life monitor or not and applicable to diesel engines.

Generally speaking, Nikasil is a type of plasma that is sprayed onto the cylinder wall to provide a higher wearing surface. It has been used in place of hardened steel liners and works quite well. It is a one-time use manufacturing procedure though and prevents the oversizing of the cylinder bores when overhaul time is due.

A good air filtration system should be your only concern with regard to the Nikasil liners.

Nikola majstre :)

Pozdrav od Dejana iz USA...a sad cu nastaviti na engleskom da budem kulturan :)

I think for your car you should use good 0W-30 A3 rated synthetic oil...this should cover you for wineter and summer..

However I have been loging some data yesterday and today that indicates that 0/5W-20 might not be bad idea for winter use.

see here:
winter oil discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back