Is Pennzoil recycled oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone from UNO in a computer lab
smile.gif

A friend of mine who lives in the upstairs dorm from me used to work or still does, I'm not sure? at this oil change place. It wasn't a jiffy lube kinda deal but it was something along those lines.

Anyway, him and I got into the topic of dicussing engine oil, viscosity etc... He told me that Pennzoil is a recycled oil. I ask him how? He tells me because it's a cheaper oil with fresh additives in it and it's a darker oil not as clear as opposed to new oil. He has a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 in it and he is using Vavoline Maxlife 10w40 in it currently. He uses this because it is for HM vehicles from what I saw of the bottle and his fingertips, it looked pretty clear. He also claims to me that why do you think some oil companies sell there oil for so cheap? They basically take used oil, refine it from all the used tranny fluid, used coolant, etc.. and put there own fresh additives in it. This is also the way some other GroupIII synthetics are. Refined used oil with the companies own synthetic additives.

He also claims that using recycled oil is ok for your car but not the best choice in the world? Is he full of it or is this true? Thanks,,,,,,AR

The color of the oil strictly has to do with the additive package that's used, and obviously will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

There is a chance that it might be, but I don't think the Pennzoil guys will tell you much, but it really doesn't matter since it's the additive depletion thats the reason for oil changes, not the base oil giving out.

Misinformed color has NO bearing on PCMO oils.
Pennzoil to my knowlege is all virgin quality basestock. Ans even if they used Rerefined base oil the only "good" stuff avalible is a very light at most tea color and is of good quality.
bruce

I had a garage owner tell me that oil change places do not necessarily use 100% virgin oil and to ask to see there certificate saying that they did if having oil changed there. I have ablsolutely no proof that they do or do not used recycled oil or blends but it wouldn't surprise me at all. As regards oil color, I've even seen color changes in new oil out of the bottle (Castrol) that varied from batch to batch. I for sure have never heard that bottled oil of any brand was anything but virgin oil unless so marked on the container.

Dad2leia, additives and dyes are added to give the oil its golden appearance AFAIK. Also the base oil does 'give up the ghost', especially in mineral oils which oxidise more rapidly than the better base oils avaiable.

Ok Leo, must have been about the synthetic bases, my bag...

So now this color thing, why can't we have totally clear oil then? Or maybe pink or magenta, so that my daughter will enjoy changing the oil with daddy?

Like the guy over on a toyota forum that claimed "if it comes in 55gal drums it is recycled....."

The punch line is that Pennzoil causes sludge.
tongue.gif

Ranger, I think you need to tell your buddy to throw his crack pipe and stash away! Pennzoil, along with a few other oil blenders, buy base oil from several different places depending on geographic location. I read here that Chevron buys base oil from the same supplier as Pennzoil on the west coast and those oils are very similar for western states. My point is that oils of the same brand vary from bacth to batch and by geographic location. NO WAY they use recycled oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Dad2leia:
Ok bruce381, where does the color come from then?

Color in new oils are from the additives mostly the detergent package and the ZDDP. VII's are clear in color so are most base oils.

The brown color oil takes on in the engine is due to Anti oxidants changeing to dark due to heat and oxidation. But mosty due to the new oil dispersing sludge, coke and wear materials that have coated the engine from normal use.
bruce

Much appreciated. I guess now that ZDDP is becoming an additive of the past, oils will be even lighter, possibly even clear in the not so distant future.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
The punch line is that Pennzoil causes sludge.
tongue.gif

Ranger, I think you need to tell your buddy to throw his crack pipe and stash away! Pennzoil, along with a few other oil blenders, buy base oil from several different places depending on geographic location. I read here that Chevron buys base oil from the same supplier as Pennzoil on the west coast and those oils are very similar for western states. My point is that oils of the same brand vary from bacth to batch and by geographic location. NO WAY they use recycled oil.

Chevron makes there own GPII and GPIII out of Richmond Calif.

Pennzoil is out of the gulf I think.
bruce

The fellow up stairs does not have a clue what he is talking about. Pennzoil Group II+ and Group III base stocks are refined by Shell in Houston, Port Author, and Louisiana. As others have stated, the base stocks in Group II, Group II+, and Group III are clear as water. It is the additive packages that give them their color.

I've heard some crazy rumors over the years but this one is just plain stupid. I'm glad I'm getting ready for retirement.

My uncle in Corpus Christi, Texas has worked for Valero since 1985. Valero is the nation's largest independent refiner.
They take on work from EVERYONE.
He has always told me that with the heavy oil crackers they have, Valero can refine or re-refine what no one else wants and then resell the product back at profit to the originator.

Flame away, but he has always maintained that most dino product on the shelf has been re-refined, including PZ.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
The fellow up stairs does not have a clue what he is talking about. Pennzoil Group II+ and Group III base stocks are refined by Shell in Houston, Port Author, and Louisiana. As others have stated, the base stocks in Group II, Group II+, and Group III are clear as water. It is the additive packages that give them their color.

I've heard some crazy rumors over the years but this one is just plain stupid. I'm glad I'm getting ready for retirement.

Just promise you won't retire from BITOG!!!!
grin.gif

I respectively disagree with your uncle when it comes to Pennzoil. I can assure you that it is not re-refined oil. And I will not get in to a flame war with anyone over it.

BR549, I will continue with BITOG.

Let me say this. When you use the word Pennzoil, you are not just talking about engine oils. It might be possible that some of the industrial oils (hydraulic, cutting, etc.) would use re-refined base, but as I said above, the engines oils do not.

Pennzoil is not made from re-refined oil, it would be almost impossible to pass ILSAC GF-4 API SM using re-refined base stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back