Change oil filter every other oil change??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do but then only when I dump oil out after 2,000 km or so because well..... it just ain't hummin' or somethin'
Really I would only do it with short OCI like 2,000-3,000 km or so, anything over that would be counter productive in a way filters are still cheap. I did that with my recent 5W-20 Motomaster (Canadian Tire's Shell) Now I got thicker stuff in it and it feels GOOD

I change my Amsoil EAO filter every 20K KM (12K Miles) and it holds up just fine. I have checked the oil pressure using a gauge at the filter and it doesn't change at all so I'm assuming that I could run it longer if I wanted to, but change it because it's cost effective enough at that point for me.

Change in pressure would mean the media is clogging up or the filter has gone into bypass mode.

I've done it occassionally when in a hurry (its winter and I dont want to get covered in slop) but not often. GM used to suggest the 'every other time filter change" in the owners manual.

These are my OCI for 3 cars:

'94 LS400: 5-7k miles or 6 mos with dino, 10-14k miles or 1 year with syn, Motorcraft FL400S or Bosch Premium 3422 oil filter every year - oil filter is changed at every other oil change with dino.

'00 MB E430: 10-13k miles or 1 year with syn, cartridge oil filter is changed at every oil change.

'04 Honda S2000: 6 mos with dino or 1 year with syn (this car is driven for less than 6k miles a year), Honda PCX-004 oil filter every year - oil filter is changed at every other oil change with dino.

I do 20K mile filter changes on the L-24458 filter on our Hondas. 7, 6 and 6K oil changes.

Why ?

1. Cause I use an oversized oil filter
2. Do mostly highyway miles
3. ZERO chance of the filter getting clogged
4. Its a waste changing the filter with every oil change

NEVER!!! do you change your skivvies every other day???? New oil,New filter.
spankme2.gif

I thought one of the main reasons for changing the filter every time was it held 1/2 qt or more of old oil, not that the filter media was necessarily loaded up....

anyway, I change my filter every time, its no biggie in expense or effort...

Originally Posted By: Malo83
NEVER!!! do you change your skivvies every other day???? New oil,New filter.
spankme2.gif

When you fill up your gas tank do you change the fuel filter?
smirk2.gif

In about 2 months I will cut the Purolator Premium Plus off our Accord and post some pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I thought one of the main reasons for changing the filter every time was it held 1/2 qt or more of old oil, not that the filter media was necessarily loaded up....

Carry over from an ancient Fram commercial. Now back then I'd say that the filter really needed changing ..whether it left up to a quart of dirty oil in there or not. Engines were filthy.

Every other time is fine if the OEM specifies in when using the mileage method to determine the OCI.

I'll use an EaO for 20k miles, even if I'm changing the oil 4 times in the process. The 20k is accumulated fast enough (mostly highway 50mile/day commutes - hardly any fuel enrichment).

You just have to figure out where they're coming from with the recommendation.

Well, Honda actually recommends it be changed every other change. One of my first debates after joining Bitog was the value of changing it every other time.

One poster, IIRC it was Jim from Calgary said that the filter actually becomes more efficient with use. I found it hard to believe but I'm more open to the idea now than I was in the beginning.

In a recent posting here on the oil filter board there is a cut open ST going ~10k with a 5k oil only change. It looks good.

Not sure I'd do it on just any vehicle but a Honda would be a good candidate.

That said, I'd have a hard time arguing with anyone that wants to change them every time. Most filters are relatively inexpensive. And then there is the dirty oil, small though it may be, left in the filter.

Also, for a number of reasons, can't wait to see LT4's cut open Purolator PP. My guess is it will look pretty good.

I have done it sometimes, especially in the winter when it was cold and wet when I needed an oil change. I have a fumoto valve, so no need to lift the car to drain the oil. I drained my winter oil and added fresh oil. Next vehicle I get must have a easy to get to filter location.

Sometimes I skip changing my shivvies when I swim after work. But they are pretty clean and I am also.

I believe I'm supposed to change it every other oil change in the TL but I can't quite remember for sure.

With a premium filter like the EAO or RP filter, I change every second or third OCI. I do a very conservative OCI for the type of oil being used, and the filter is made to go the distance. 3 OCIs for me is just getting in to what most consider one extended OCI. We're talking 15,000 or so total for 3 intervals. This is also with an oversized filter.

The only worry I've had is leaving half a quart of the old stuff in there. But with my conservative OCI, I know that's not a problem. Now if I was trying to stretch it out to 15K+ on an OCI I would change every time.

I figure it saves a bunch of dry starts over the car's lifetime.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Does anyone change their filter ever other time. If so, why?

For one, the manuals of many cars and other equipment state to do this.

I don't because filters are cheap.

I suppose some of it could have to do with filter size. Our Corolla's filters are much too small for me to be comfortable leaving them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back