AMA Superbike oil report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from Mid-Ohio AMA race weekend, great racing, check it out if they are in your area.

I asked most of the teams what oil they were running and got all kinds of different answers. 5w30 seemed the most popular, one team said 5w/20 and another said 10w/60 and some in-between. Most teams used Silkolene, Motul, Maxima, Elf.

Team Suzuki used Motorex 10/60 (sponsor no surprise)

Team Ducati used Amsoil 20/50 "( )"

When I asked about the thick viscosity some of them was running most all talked about cam wear and engine longevity as the reason.

What surprised me was no Red-line, Bel-Ray or some of the other popular motorcycle oils.

Oh... not a jug of Rotella-Delo-ect.. in sight, even the privateers I talked to used a motorcycle oil.

Just my observations YMMV.

10/10s is correct! I can't imagine a better oil workout than a racebike like this. I should have asked about the oil temp they run at.

Sorry don't recall what the Buell team was running. One thing I do know it is a great sounding racebike. I have a TL1000 now and love it but for my next bike I may have to look at the Buell.

Originally Posted By: cven

Oh... not a jug of Rotella-Delo-ect.. in sight, even the privateers I talked to used a motorcycle oil.

Just my observations YMMV.

Like I have said before, Rotella/Delo/HDEO etc. is never in the winner circle of a professional race.

...but it can be found in bikes with over 100,000 miles
21.gif

I wouldn't expect to see an HDEO at a track.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
Like I have said before, Rotella/Delo/HDEO etc. is never in the winner circle of a professional race.
If you want an indication of what products work or don't work for the real world, don't look to professional racers whose budgets and resources put them in another league. DO look to amateur and club racers who have to budget their own limited dollars. You will see lots of Rotella in the pits of a WERA or CCS race and among track day regulars.

Back in the day when I raced, Pennzoil supplied us with can wrappers to hide the oil we were really running.

Smoky14, how about some info on the oil used when you were racing. Nobody likes a tease!!!LOL...

my question is. why are you changing or needing oil at the track. Your bike should come race prepared. And that includes a full crankcase
wink.gif

It's unlikely you'll find Honda GN 4 or kawichem in the winners circle and Matt Maldin's ama superbike is never cruising down the highway either..

Folks using Rotella, Delvac, ect ect are using them as an alternative to conventionals such as GN4 which carry a much higher price tag by comparison...And from the reports here the HDEO's appear to offer a better level of wear protection while being less costly as well.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Folks using Rotella, Delvac, ect ect are using them as an alternative to conventionals such as GN4 which carry a much higher price tag by comparison...And from the reports here the HDEO's appear to offer a better level of wear protection while being less costly as well.

Outside of the USA GN4 is cheaper than Rotella, Delvac, etc. GN4 satisfies manufacturer warranty whereas Rotella/Delvac more than likely not.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Rotella is JASO rated, so it satisfies MFGs warranty requirements.

I've heard that before, but it isn't on their website or on the bottle. They obviously haven't paid for the testing or it would be on the bottle.

Only the frictional part of jaso was tested, though I'm sure it would the pass the rest of the test Rotella is NOT jaso listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back