Valvoline Maxlife vs Castrol GTX high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a 97 Cavalier with a 2.2, and 125,000 miles, which would be better? I was planning on getting the Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend 10W-40 to reduce oil consumption. Better than Castrol?

EDIT> Also, is the Purolator PureOne oil filter, and Purolator Premium air filter good?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the MaxLife, has really reduced consumption and eliminated minor/small leaks in everything I put it in. If you were not leaking externally though, the Castrol is $0.50 per 5qt jug cheaper at Wal-Mart....usually "all else being equal, go with the cheaper", but YMMV.

Poor Castrol
LOL.gif

Of those two I'd also go with the Maxlife, even though I'd take GTX over Valvoline WB if we were strictly doing regular conventionals. 30% Synthetic in the Maxlife is tough to beat for the price!

I used ML a few times and thought it made the engine sluggish. fwiw, Castrol HM controlled consumption/leaking EXTREMELY well the subsequent times I used it. I know Castrol might look weak on paper, but I think it is an excellent product and plain GTX is quite good too, esp w/ consumption.

I'll buck the trend here, and say GTX HM. Yes, Maxlife is an excellent product, but I read in your other thread about this car that it consumes a LOT of oil.

GTX HM is a bit thicker than ML, and it advertises (I know) the lowest amount of 'burnoff' of all conventional oils. So it might help reduce consumption a bit more than ML. Might.

Ok so I'll get the valvoline because of the enormous and generally unanimous response. Now, I used the little tool on Valvolines website, they said because I live in upstate New york, where it gets very very cold in winter for long periods, that I should use Maxlife full synthetic. I would, but it is more expensive, and not easy to come by at the local advance/autozone/walmart. Am I right in assuming I can use regular Maxlife Synthetic Blend? Also I am finding conflicting things on the oil for this particular car. (again, 97 Chevy Cavalier 2.2) The things I've seen online go from 5W-30 to 10W-40 (which my grandfather who I'm acquiring the car from on wednesday says the dealer uses in the oil changes)

I was going to go with the 10W-40 because I'm trying to reduce oil consumption on this car, so I figure thicker oil will be better... Of course I am assuming that 10W-40 is thicker than 5W-30.... no the lower the number the thicker it is, right? =P

You're right - it is literal - the higher the number, the thicker the oil.

I'd start with the 10W-30 (like I think you did) and go from there. Chevy rec. 10W-30 above 0F, so you should be good for the rest of the summer/start of winter. In the dead of winter, use 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I was going to go with the 10W-40 because I'm trying to reduce oil consumption on this car, so I figure thicker oil will be better... Of course I am assuming that 10W-40 is thicker than 5W-30.... no the lower the number the thicker it is, right? =P

It is thicker, but I suspect it will have little impact on oil consumption (all other variables remaining the same). You'll get better fuel mileage with the lower weight oil and it's probably better to stick with the weight the manufacturer of your vehicle recommends.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back