stp oil treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never used stp before,but I have heard that it contains a 50 weight oil and a ton of zinc. So here's my queston. Does this stuff contain detergents or solvents that break down or remove sludge?

Not to my knowledge, and I have used this in the past to thicken my oil. Here are some specs on it:

Viscosity at 40°C: 5200-6340 cSt
Viscosity at 100°C: 250 cSt
Zinc compounds: 10%
Petroleum distillates: 30%
Mineral Oil: 60%

We had a VOA on the STP here at one time.

It's got a lot of viscosity enhancers in it. Just how these things affect the base oil you put it in is beyond me.

I have considered thickening a 50 weight oil for my motorcycle with some STP, since the bike tends to shear every oil I've put in it down to a 40 weight.

But I don't know how much ZDDP it has...

Dan

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
back in the 60s and early 70s STP was part of an oil change for me....

Ya me too...I don't think its needed with todays oils

Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
Does this stuff contain detergents or solvents that break down or remove sludge?

It contains detergents, yes. But not for sludge removal, it is to keep the detergency level in balance with the additional zinc (ZDDP) that you are adding to the oil when you put it in.
It's real intended purpose is to strengthen the oil film and prevent metal-to-metal contact, and in the event of that contact, to add boundary layer lubrication form the boosted zinc compounds.
Probably not really needed, but probably not harmful either. It's sure been a tried product all these years.

PS:
They also make a 4 cylinder formula (red bottle) that according to STP via email, has the same ZDDP content but about half the viscosity numbers. I ordered some to try from Autobarn because no store carries the red bottle around here.

I tried finding the voa on stp products on here, but the word stp is too short. I was wondering specifically about the 4 bottles of 4-cylinder treatment I bought at a store. I snapped them up because I can never find them in my area

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post952129

For some reason just using the "newer than 5 years" only gets me back a limited amount in history. If I put "older than 1 year" I get additional posts. It didn't always work this way, but when I kept seeing stuff only back to some day in 08 ..when I KNEW it was back there, I had to try something.

The original link is gone, but Tall Paul has the data.

btw- I put in STP OIL TREATMENT.

The data is the same, but here's the CAT-BUTLER page that it's on. It's in alphabetical order.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=478132#Post478132

Last edited:
Oh, hey, thanks Gary! you da man.

Here's the only info I got directly from STP:

"July 13, 2009

Thank you for contacting us about your STP Oil Treatment. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We sold our filter division many years ago to Champion Laboratories. You may contact them for technical information at 1-800-882-0890.

Unfortunately, the amount of ZDDP in both of our oil treatments is proprietary. However, what I can tell you is that the amount in both the red bottle and blue bottle are similar. If you add either product to four or five quarts of oil, it will provide you with the same protection the older motor oils once provided. I hope this helps you.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services"

Only when I was getting the car ready to sell.....

Originally Posted By: Ken2

Only when I was getting the car ready to sell.....

Back in my younger days, I was a mechanic on a demolition derby team. A lot of these cars run wide open (or nearly so) for maybe 15 minutes at at time, sometimes with little or no coolant.
We used to run some of these cars with 100%, or nearly 100% STP oil treatment in the crankcase. You got to remember that most of these engines were real loose and sloppy.
I don't know if there is a situation today where it is really needed and I haven't used it since.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I was a mechanic on a demolition derby team.

Sounds like a really frustrating job.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
We used to run some of these cars with 100%, or nearly 100% STP oil treatment in the crankcase. You got to remember that most of these engines were real loose and sloppy.

Now that is some funny Sh..!

Yup in my 1968 Dodge charger it was 5 quarts of 30 weight Quaker State racing oil and a can of STP and off to the drag strip....

That must have been fun!

:D

My brother Dodge Avenger 2008 with 3.5 Liter burns oil like it's going out of style. He has used any oil he could get his hands on to add to it, since it burned a quart every 400 to 1000 miles. He added STP to his oil and could push 1000 to 1500 miles without adding. I told him to quit mixing oils and go with one oil to test if any one oil would help. He switched to Mobil 5000 and STP and now his consumption is at 3500 miles and a quart. So STP might be helping him or the Mobil 1 oil..

Originally Posted By: Topo
My brother Dodge Avenger 2008 with 3.5 Liter burns oil like it's going out of style. He has used any oil he could get his hands on to add to it, since it burned a quart every 400 to 1000 miles. He added STP to his oil and could push 1000 to 1500 miles without adding. I told him to quit mixing oils and go with one oil to test if any one oil would help. He switched to Mobil 5000 and STP and now his consumption is at 3500 miles and a quart. So STP might be helping him or the Mobil 1 oil..

What's wrong with it??? Abused?

Originally Posted By: Topo

Some Chrysler products of that year had a Lifetime Warranty on the engine and power train, if he's the original owner that is. I doubt it was anything more than a marketing gimmick at the time, but it might be worth looking into, if he's the original owner. If that's not the case then try the usual additives mentioned here for cleaning up an engine. Maybe the oil rings are coked up. JMO

If he goes to the dealer make sure he tells them he's using a qt every 400 miles so they don't tell him its normal oil use. Them tell him to make sure it does use a qt of oil every 400 miles.
wink.gif

I'd stay clear of the STP if your brother plans on returning it to the dealer for any kind of warranty claim.

What's wrong with it??? Abused?[/quote]

Nope, probably a stuck ring or valve seal issue. He could easily get it replaced, rather than wasting his time on oil additives.

[/quote]

Some Chrysler products of that year had a Lifetime Warranty on the engine and power train, if he's the original owner that is. I doubt it was anything more than a marketing gimmick at the time, but it might be worth looking into, if he's the original owner. If that's not the case then try the usual additives mentioned here for cleaning up an engine. Maybe the oil rings are coked up. JMO

If he goes to the dealer make sure he tells them he's using a qt every 400 miles so they don't tell him its normal oil use. Them tell him to make sure it does use a qt of oil every 400 miles.
wink.gif

I'd stay clear of the STP if your brother plans on returning it to the dealer for any kind of warranty claim.[/quote]

It has a lifetime warranty. Why he bothers trying reduce oil consumption I have not a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back