Home defense shotguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some ideas for a really decent pump shotgun for my home. I'd like high capacity, extremely durable, smooth action, reliability, and has a good track record already (as in the war in Iraq). I like Benelli (spell?) but don't know the cost of one. I have an old Winchester 1200 that works fine but I want to 'step-up' to a tad more tactical one. Price is important but I'm not one to go cheap either. My eyes just don't cut it anymore for my AR-15 and I like the slight spread and power of a shotgun.
Thanks for any ideas.

A sawed-off punt gun would be pretty effective.
wink.gif

giantlarge_7.jpg

http://media.techeblog.com/images/giantlarge_7.jpg

I have a Mossberg short barreled 3" magnum 12 gauge. Called the "home defender" or some such title. Haven't had to use it on anyone yet, but it's definitely up to the task.

me and a few friends are partial to the Mossberg for just such a task. In fact, we affectionately refer to it as "Judge Mossberg".

Pump guns are nice (like the Remington 870 HD) but there are some supremely reliable auto's out there. My Mossberg 930 SPX hasn't jammed once.

My favorite is a Remington 870 12 gauge with an 18" barrel, and if you like put a light on it. Mossberg makes a nice weapon too, but IMO the Remington is better. If you like tweaking the shotgun there are more after market parts for the Remington 870 than most other shotguns.

So far it looks like Mossberg and remington are the top choices. Anybody use a Benelli or have any good info on cost?

I wouldn't pull the trigger with a 3" magnum in the chamber for fear it would break my wrist! An 870 Remington is a stone cold reliable weapon and there are a lot of tactical options readily available.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Pump guns are nice (like the Remington 870 HD) but there are some supremely reliable auto's out there. My Mossberg 930 SPX hasn't jammed once.

Yet....
27.gif

Plus if you get a round that did not go off (for ANY reason), I'll bet I can clear the round and re-chamber quicker than the auto.

Add the international sound of racking the pump
45.gif
and I'll stay with a pump.

I've got a 30 year old 870 and Winchester Pump. The 870 does not take 3 inch shells and the Winchester does.

Both have 18" barrels and large cap.

Last two rounds in either gun are slugs. The others are #1 and #4 LEAD shot.

Make sure you practice with the gun. Aiming is needed contrary to popular opinion.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Yet....
27.gif

My Remington 870 HAS jammed, many times. Some shells lock up the chamber and are nearly impossible to eject without tremendous force. I've even had some spent shells not fully clear the ejection port. The gas operation of the 930 has enough force to ensure that these "sticky" hulls still eject.

I clean and lube my guns religiously, so it's not a maintenance issue.

The ONLY problems I've had with the Mossberg 930 SPX are when loading the tube, if you don't push the shell in far enough (has to go a bit further into the tube than on the 870) it'll shoot back into the action. Not a reliability issue, just annoying. If you pull the bolt back and release it, it will still chamber that round. The other problem, which is common with semi-auto firearms, is that if you pull the trigger fast enough, you can actually get ahead of the bolt cycling, and the hammer will follow the bolt closed.

Interesting.

Like I said, I've had mine for well over 30 years and NEVER (really!) had it do anything other than cycle the round in or out and fire when pulling the trigger.

The Winchester while newer did have a issue with the mag spring but that has been fixed (it was binding in the tube. Bent from the factory) and it has been flawless since.

I've used and been with plenty of Semi-Autos and witnessed them being less than steller in their operation. While I'm NOT a shotgun person (The 870 and Winchester are my only ones) I've shot other family members enough to know what I use for my families self defense.

Hey, to each their own!
cheers3.gif

I've done the short cycling of my Uncles Semi-Auto and found out once you fire it, GET the finger OFF the trigger or what you describe happens...

Take care, bill

BTW: Was up in your neck of the woods over the 4th (My Sister lives in Columbia Falls) and had a great time. LOVE the RIVERS!
20.gif

One thing here I wish we had more of.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Bill I do respect the way you stage your shells! Slug last pretty much guarantees the intruder won't get a chance to sue you later LOL!

I've seen a slug and what it can do.
shocked2.gif
*IF* the bad boy is still walking after 1/2 a dozen rounds then the slugs *will* do their job.

Slugs are also VERY effective going through vehicle doors and still hurting whatever is sitting on the other side of the door.

Take care, bill

My Remington 870 HAS jammed, many times.

Is that a Wingmaster or an Express? Because my Wingmasters are all silky smooth but my Express's took quite a bit of shooting to get to a point I could live with.

A 12 gauge shotgun loaded with the proper ammo is far superior to any handgun for stopping power. My Rem 870 Express magnum has always worked flawlessly with many different ammo types. I have had it for about 15 years and I would never get rid of it. It has the 20 inch barrel with a synthetic pistol grip stock and 2 round mag extension.

That's why I like #4 buckshot. There's nothing like twenty-seven .270 diameter lead shot going down range.

FWIW, 3" magnum shells have forty-one, .270 diameter shot.

Can you say "buzz saw"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back