Best product to stop slipping transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
anything better than LUCAS TRANSMISSION FIX for stopping
slipping automatic transmission?

A new transmission! Just yanking your chain, you set yourself up for that one!

First off,
welcome2.gif

Next, you could try draining and re-filling with new fluid. Although it's fading fast since it's already slipping. The Lucas might buy you a few more miles before needing a new transmission.

Besides that, I'm out of ideas.

If an AT is slipping and the fluid is at the proper level, repair is knocking at your door. If you want to try an additive try one of the Lube Gard products, but don't count on a fix in a bottle. Don't keep driving it while it is slipping!

A pan drop and filter might help, I would give that a try after I was certain the fluid was at the proper level, and before I add anything hoping to fix it.

AD

Sorry to tell you this, but Lucas isn't that great of a product.

Personally I would do a few drain and refills with the cheapest fluid I could find to get the Lucas out, then I would Add 8 oz of Auto RX to your Transmission to see what happens.

If you haven't been over there before you need to go check out the Auto-RX site. I have had good results from them.

this is for 1968 mercedes-benz 250 se with 102,000 miles
automatic. going from 3rd pulling it into 4th -even though in 4th gear (as far as the position of shift lever on floor) it goes into neutral. you have to jiggle handle it then goes into 4th.

should say that this car was driven less than 2000 miles in last 4 years. So even if oil was new 4 years ago. since hardly driven- should everything be drained- including differential.
I am no mechanic -just want to save inherited car from my dad.even before the last 4 years-
Car was rarely driven more than 5 miles one way and then 5 miles back. However, it was up a pretty steep hill in pa.then 8 hours later back down the hill. Just in case that had anything to do with it. I appreciate you folks.(covers gals and guys!)

I may not be understanding your description nor have I ever dealt with benz trans. Seems like the gear selector cable may be out of whack.

Lubeguard Red. Try one bottle at first. If not better use two. I would change filter and fluid first. I would check gear selector too.

Last edited:
Seafoam makes a transmission tune-up in a can. Isn't supposed to swell up the seals like other additives. It helped me with a governor sticking problem on a 700R4.

It could be something to do with the gear selector. As far as a slipping automatic tranny. Check the fluid level first, add if needed. If that doesn't work, drop the pan, replace filter, refill. The only additive I would put in a tranny is Lube Gard Red. If it is slipping bad enough you are not going to fix it with an additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back