Oil for my 2001 Mercedes ML55 AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new here and Im sure this topic has been covered but I can not seem to find any info on oils for AMG motors. I know the dealer recommends Mobil 1 0w40 oil, but when I first got the truck, with 60k miles, i did an oil change with the 0w40 and after a few days it seemed the truck started running louder and I even noticed some valvetrain noise, a few days later I switched to Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage (not a MB approved oil for this motor) and within 2 days the motor quieted down back to normal. I have since switched to Amsoil 5w40 euro formula and its been running well, but its pricey and I have to order it, so shipping ends up costing me even more. I usually go about 5k between oil changes. Should I stretch this out longer, goto a different oil, or stay with the amsoil (its not thaaat expensive but im always looking to tighten the budget when possible especially when the spending isnt justified)? I was considering trying the Mobil 1 0w40 again, thinking maybe it was a coincidence and I had a noisy or stuck lifter or something and it came loose, or it was just a fluke. Any thoughts on this situation?

Car is out of warranty, so run whatever makes the car run the 'best', which sounds like it is M1 10W-40 HM. The HM M1 oils are very, very stout oils, so they will protect the motor very well. Plus, they are cheaper and a bit easier to get than Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
What does MB-AMG recommend for this monster? Any UOAs on this engine?

I think M1 0-40. That's what goes in my daughters MB.

MB-AMG recommends M1 0w40 but like i said, it seemed like I had bad luck with it, or could have been a fluke. Id rather not find out and waste another 9 quarts of perfectly good mobil 1, but Im tempted to know for sure.

Last couple times I did oil changes, I included a bottle of Lucas Synthetic Oil Treatment. I know alot of people on this forum are against oil treatments but I mainly threw it in to thicken up the oil a little. Im tempted to try the M1 0w40 again but maybe throw in the Lucas again, to thicken it up a little bit. When I had the issues with it the first time, my cousin is a Mechanic who is pretty well versed on MBs and he seemed to think maybe the 0w40 was a little thin for a sports truck with some miles on it (not that 85k is that many for an AMG benz motor but I got the truck with 65k on it and while it was in good shape and ran strong, its possible that the previous owner could have driven it hard). Thats why I went to the M1 10w40 Hi mileage and eventually settled on the Amsoil 5w40 Euro. Unless I just stay with whats working and keep running the pricey Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Big_Dogger
Im new here and Im sure this topic has been covered but I can not seem to find any info on oils for AMG motors. I know the dealer recommends Mobil 1 0w40 oil, but when I first got the truck, with 60k miles, i did an oil change with the 0w40 and after a few days it seemed the truck started running louder and I even noticed some valvetrain noise, a few days later I switched to Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage (not a MB approved oil for this motor) and within 2 days the motor quieted down back to normal. I have since switched to Amsoil 5w40 euro formula and its been running well, but its pricey and I have to order it, so shipping ends up costing me even more. I usually go about 5k between oil changes. Should I stretch this out longer, goto a different oil, or stay with the amsoil (its not thaaat expensive but im always looking to tighten the budget when possible especially when the spending isnt justified)? I was considering trying the Mobil 1 0w40 again, thinking maybe it was a coincidence and I had a noisy or stuck lifter or something and it came loose, or it was just a fluke. Any thoughts on this situation?

Perhaps something is wrong with your engine. My daughter and son in law have two MBs. His 04 SL 500 has been a real problem child. In the shop a lot. He now claims his next car will be a Lexus.

I thought that at first but I had it checked out and its fine. The truck runs great, runs strong. Is just noisy with the 0w40, like very noisy, or was the only time I used it. Isnt M1 5w40 TDT for Diesel engines?

Would it be bad if I mixed in a couple for quarts of the M1 10w40hm with the 0w40 in case there is an issue with the 0w40 being too thin? Its warm up here now and gets over 90F on some days.

I have thought about mixing up a Mobil 1 5w40 "european turbodiesel HM formula" for the next OC in my e320...

1/3 0w40
1/3 5w40 TDT
1/3 10w40 HM

But really, there is no reason to mix oils. I would try the 5w40 TDT because it is a thicker 40wt than the 0w40 and is "SM" rated. If you want a little more HTHS & anti-wear, then go with the 10w40 HM.

10w40 is thicker oil then 0w40 at least in theory. Especially the HM formula which is slightly thicker the the regular 10w40.

The truck will not run noisy, it will run the way its been running. If youi read the original post, when I ran 0w40 the first time I tried it, I got excessive valvetrain noise, which went away after I switched to the 10w40 and stayed away when I used Amsoil 5w40. I also used some Lucas Synthetic Oil treatment for the last couple oil changes. Im not going to add it this time, although I considered staying with what worked.

If the 10w40 HM worked for you, why not just use that? I don't quite understand why you would want to go back to 0w40 if if caused "issues" last time you tried it.

I also think M1 5w40 TDT would work as well as the Amsoil 5w40 with only 5k intervals, but it doesn't seem to be around in the $22/5qt jugs like the 10w40 HM is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back