I should name my bike Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
Naw, luckily there was nobody else.
blush.gif
I don't wear any protective clothing, including gloves, unless I do something more than normal off-road riding.

I wear a helmet all the time on the bike, on the road its for getting whacked by a space cadet driver, and off road its for me finding something fun to ride, either a berm, or a jump, or whatever. If I have my bucket on I can ride what I want all the time...
To me, helmet, gloves and clear biking glasses are like buckling up in a car, just makes sense. I've used all the protective gear many times...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I wear a helmet all the time on the bike, on the road its for getting whacked by a space cadet driver, and off road its for me finding something fun to ride, either a berm, or a jump, or whatever. If I have my bucket on I can ride what I want all the time...
To me, helmet, gloves and clear biking glasses are like buckling up in a car, just makes sense. I've used all the protective gear many times...

Thanks for your confession.
wink.gif
In no way am I trying to dissuade you from wearing a helmet, cup, knee and elbow pads, and possibly chain maille.

I grew up without safety gear. Looking back, we kids did crazy stuff that makes me now cringe, and while we all got a bit more brittle since then, at least I don't do the really crazy stuff anymore. What happened to me was an accident, one of those which was not anticipated, but really unexpected. I notice that many of those who are clad in safety gear from top to toe have a higher chance of injury. Whether that's due to them taking more risk or being more careless, I do not know.

If I deliberately do some crazy stuff, I do wear appropriate protective gear. For what I consider normal riding, I will not wear protective gear. I'll take my chances, which have been in my favor since I learned riding a bike at age five. And that's all I have to say in regard to this matter.

PS: Should I swim inside a shark cage when I enter the Pacific coastal waters, which are infested with great whites? I swim at least five times a week in the ocean. I'm also dabbling in free climbing. Whee!

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
Mori... Is this bike new to you? I was thinking about something. I bought my first full suspension bike last September. I fell off that thing many times for the first few months. More than I had ever fallen off my hardtail.

No, I'm familiar with this bike. It was simply an accident. Accept it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman

PS: Should I swim inside a shark cage when I enter the Pacific coastal waters, which are infested with great whites? I swim at least five times a week in the ocean. I'm also dabbling in free climbing. Whee!

Well you're a big boy, do what you want, but it seems silly to me not to use safety gear that doesn't negatively affect the activity. I grew up without safety gear either and have the scars to prove it even though I'm no kamikaze thrill seeker. But I do enough potentially dangerous/deadly stuff to try to increase my odds of staying in one piece...
Do you free climb without a helmet? 22mph is the same as falling from 30'... And yes I've gone swimming in shark infested waters without my chainmail, but I wouldn't be out there if sharks have been sighted...

Glad to here you are not more messed up Mori.

Been 25 years since I fell on a bike real hard. I did a Superman over the handlebars of a Motorcycle. I cracked two teeth and one of them got knocked out. I picked it up in the morning.

I don't get along with motorcycles.........I don't really miss them.

I still love to bike.

Here's the carnage 5 weeks later: nice nail deformation from forceful impact, a small pit from hitting who knows what, a neat hematoma. At least the swelling has gone down. Not sure if the nail will fall off. If it does, I'll have to rip it off, because it'll still be attached on one side. I'll make a video of the procedure. BITOG's first "home surgery" video! Where are my pliers?
grin2.gif

carnage.jpg

Awesome.
grin2.gif
I slammed my finger in a car door when I was little and I remember they drilled two small holes in the nail to relieve the pressure. Your nails always look so pretty too, what a tragedy.
grin2.gif

Alright, I removed part of the old nail that's "delaminating" with my scalpel. I guess the pictures tell the story. And yes, I was clutching a Wilson, because that allowed me to position the finger conveniently and to hold it steady. You can see all the (still moist
grin2.gif
) blood between the old and the new nail.

nail_01.jpg

nail_02.jpg

Since the old nail is coming loose only where the hematoma is while remainin firmly attached to the "pink areas," an increasingly detached nail might get snagged and get ripped out by accident, for example when reaching into a pocket and pulling the hand back out. This would be rather unpleasant. That's why I believe that removing the detached area progressively is the best solution. I also love experiments.
grin2.gif

And more important, the risk of accidentally hurting myself has been greatly diminished.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back