Shell Cracking Down on Dishonest Resellers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats old is new again. Way back when, Shell was putting oil in sealed glass bottles. That way the driver saw what he was getting, and the service station knew it was Shell branded oil sealed from the refinery. I am lucky to have a quart bottle in my collection. Never found a full one though, or a top, although I have seen bottle caps at the Wood River Refinery Museum. Very cool they have a way to ID their product.

Big brother is watching you! They can tell what Shell product you used by is chemical signature.

Last edited:
Markers are used in explosives and many other products. We used them in black foam rubber/PVC pipe insulation at our company so that if someone claimed copper corrosion caused by our product, we could tell right away if it was us or a competitor.

That's neat-- like getting "genuine Paul Mitchell" at a salon!

Walmart used to have Pennzoil signs at their TLE near me but dropped them. I don't remember if Pennzoil was their cheapest change or just an option. A garage with a Pennzoil sign could still advertise a "bulk change" and bottled pennzoil for a markup. (Unless there was a clause in a contract that came with that sign.)

This reminds me of that thread where some were wondering why a Ford dealer wasn't using all Ford parts. It was a matter of false assumptions, IMO.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Good to hear.

Exactly what the OEMs have been trying to do for years. I commend their efforts.

Does this mean though that Shell will oppose the marketing and promotion of so called 'multi-purpose' non OEM approved products?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
NO!

You sound very positive on that. I must say though that if you are correct there would seem to be some 'double standard' issues?

No double standard issues. Business advertises Pennzoil, Quaker State, or Shell product, Shell gives the business signs to do so, and in some cases helps provide financing, all Shell expects the business to do is honor their contract and not substitute other products.

If a car manufacture gives dealer money and dealer advertises they are using the manufactures product, and don't, the manufacture should come down on them also.

If a company like Shell makes a multi-vehicle ATF and claims it works in XYZ applications due to testing, then they are held liable if it does not.

Two completely different issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back