VOA- THF Comparison, Traveller, HyTran, SuperTrav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a VOA comparison of three Trans Hydraulic Fluids, a Generic universal THF called Traveller and sold by Tractor Supply, the factory recommended Case-IH HyTran Ultra and a blend I call "SuperTrav", which is the Traveller with a commonly available THF package from a "major manufacturer" added as a booster to the low-rent additive package.

The SuperTrav came about after I did a VOA on the Traveller. I had to make a trans repair on my Farmall tractor. Too bad I didn't do the VOA before pouring in the oil! In any case, Bruce381 fixed me up with a gallon of the additive that turned the weak Traveller into an oil that can leap tall cornstalks in a single bound (I'll be happy if it just keeps my 8300 hour tractor together for a few more years).

.............Traveller........HyTran........SuperTrav
Vis@40C:.....-................-.............38.5cSt
Vis@100:.....9.29cSt..........7.01cSt.......6.4cSt
VI:..........-................-.............119
TBN:.........-................5.9...........14.49
TAN:.........0................-.............-
Flashpoint:..400..............430...........-
Boron:.......52...............3.............74
Silicon:.....2................6.............7
Sodium:......0................3.............4
Calcium:.....641..............3112..........4163
Magnesium:...2................7.............0
Phosphorus:..321..............504...........1684
Zinc:........3................35............1778

There were few other trace items, especially in the Traveller, which had about 15 hours on it before the "Super" was added, but all under 10 ppm. Not sure why the Traveller showed a 9.29 vis while the SuperTrav was only 6.4. Two labs tested, but viscosity is a basic test. WIll get it retested soon. Likely the 6.4 is correct.

The HyTran is advertised as a "low zinc" formula. The Traveller is obviously also devoid of zinc. My question is this: What are they using to replace it? It must be something that doesn't show up on the VOA.

What is the benefit of the additives in the Hytran vs. generic? Calcium, Phosphorus etc... ???

Also try to cheat on the older tractors but use ONLY Hytran on new ones.

The calcium is a dispersant and anti-oxidant. Zinc and phosphorus are anti-wear additives, something neither the Traveller nor the HyTran have in abundance (leaving me to wonder what they use as an anti-wear element). Boron is also an anti-wear element. The HyTran has more of whatever is beneficial it seems, based on the difference in calcium content. Blackstone commented that both the Traveller and the HyTran were lower on the "Traditional" additives than they normally see in THF. I suspect that the newer tractors require a lower zinc content for some reason and there is another additive in play that does not show up on the VOA.

I don't know enough to go farther on this.

Do know they advertise Hytran as "zinc free". What is the additive that you are adding? Availability?? The Hytran cost got WAY out of line last year compared to spec oils. More than double in some cases....JD oil included. Just could not see spending that on the old stuff.

I don't believe the additive I got is generally available to the public. I wouldn't/couldn't be doing this under normal circumstances. This mainly provided an opportunity to experiment on my tractor. But I've learned my lesson. When the time comes to change out the fluid again, I'll have a good brand picked out. Maybe HyTran... maybe something else. With the cost of the Traveller (about $8-9/gal) plus the cost of the additive, the blend is more expensive than HyTran Ultra (about $10-11/gal bulk at my local dealer).

Quote:
My question is this: What are they using to replace it? It must be something that doesn't show up on the VOA.

Many fluids are trying to become green, but unless they have a high level of bio fluids, this is not the case.

As you know, ZDDP was primarily used as an antioxidant and later found to be an AW/EP additive.

Formulators are changing over to new ashless antioxidants and Dithiocarbamates as AW/EP adds.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
My question is this: What are they using to replace it? It must be something that doesn't show up on the VOA.

Many fluids are trying to become green, but unless they have a high level of bio fluids, this is not the case.

As you know, ZDDP was primarily used as an antioxidant and later found to be an AW/EP additive.

Formulators are changing over to new ashless antioxidants and Dithiocarbamates as AW/EP adds.

Dithiocarbamates? That goes way over my head but I did a quick look and I'll need to read more because I can't make out what they heck they are. It seems like the dithiocarbamate can be made from other things, like moly and antimony. Anyway, I am solidly stumped here for the moment. Do these dithiocarbamates show up at all in the VOA, perhaps as a trace of something else?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the new ashless organic AW/EP additives will not show up in a regular analysis.

It would interesting to see comparative sulfur levels of these fluids. A dithiocarbamate might show up as a slightly elevated sulfur level.

The Greener fluids are trying to reduce metals such as zinc as the heavier metals are considered pollutants and do not biodegrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back