GM Ecotech 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did my patriotic duty and bought American; new Malibu with the 2.4L Ecotech engine. Was surprised to see GM went to a cartridge type filter, as opposed to their traditional can design. Seems as tho the OLM is taking me out to a 6,000 mile OCI for a 50/50 combo of city / hwy driving. Are these engines hard on oil? Nice car btw. Very solid and incredibly quiet. Rides like a much bigger car.

Ecotecs are very, very easy on oil. Engine is a dream to maintain w/cartridge filter up top. Wish I had one.....

If I had the money, I'd buy a new Malibu 4-cylinder in a hearbeat - great car.

Ecotec, no H . The 2.4L has a 5 quart sump. I would change out the FF at 1,000. Then use whatever dino you have until the OLM goes off. Then put in whatever synthetic you want for the 6,000-7,500 OLM OCI's from their on.

I had a 2003 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.2l Ecotec motor,and it loved Synthetic oil,after market air intake,and exhaust. Once that thing breathed easier,it screamed.

ecotec is a good little engine, got the 2.2 in my VUE. only issue I've had is a slight valve cover leak; was 'supposed' to have been fixed while it was under warranty, but it's back.
got about 68K on it now, easiest oil change I've ever done! OLM takes me to about 9K or so; at about that time I'm down a quart.

2.4 or 2.2? My 02 2.2 uses so little oil I have gotten careless about checking it. I run Pennzoil YB with 3 month OCI. It often reaches 6000 miles. Love the cartridge filter even if it took me an hour to find it the first oil change and get the shaft on the price.

I have a 2008 Aura 2.4 and I love it. I have been using 5w-30 yb or Valvoline, with an AC Delco filter ($4.39 at AAP). I have been changing it every 5-6k although the OLM seems to think I can take it out to 9k.

I have a UOI posted at a 5k interval.

The engine seems very happy with this combo.

My Solstice with the 2.4 Ecotec takes a 1.25" (32mm) low profile socket to get the cap off the cartridge holder.

O'Reilly's has them under the Lisle brand for about $10.

Love the 2.2 ecotec in our 2003 Olds Alero. I'm on the rinse phase in my AutoRx treatment, and taking out the filter to check it is almost as easy as pulling out the dipstick to check the oil. All engines should be this easy to maintain.

ETA: I also just replaced the spark plugs on this engine, and like everything else it was almost embarrassingly easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
My Solstice with the 2.4 Ecotec takes a 1.25" (32mm) low profile socket to get the cap off the cartridge holder.

I am using my dad's ancient 1 1/4'' socket on mine. Ace Hardware has ones for less than $5.

Originally Posted By: labman
Originally Posted By: Win

I am using my dad's ancient 1 1/4'' socket on mine. Ace Hardware has ones for less than $5.

Interesting.

I couldn't get a regular socket on mine - the intake runner on that last cylinder drops too low to the cartridge top. It looks like it will be a tight fit even with the low profile socket.

Maybe the 2.4, or the Solstice 2.4, is different from the 2.2.

I use a 1 1/4" socket also; I just loosen it a bit and take the rest off by hand. same as reinstalling. thread it in by hand, snug it up w/ the socket.
i agree on the plugs. took maybe 10 minutes.
a little history on the ecotec: it was 1st used by saturn in the '99 L series. the malibus and aleros and the rest of GM got it later. the VUE got it since new in '02.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
I use a 1 1/4" socket also; I just loosen it a bit and take the rest off by hand. same as reinstalling. thread it in by hand, snug it up w/ the socket.
a little history on the ecotec: it was 1st used by saturn in the '99 L series. the malibus and aleros and the rest of GM got it later. the VUE got it since new in '02.

That's exactly how I do it on the GF's Cobalt. Super-easy to do, though I'm not sure it's any better than a intelligently-located conventional metal-can filter. And the cartridges usually are more expensive, at least in my area.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
I had a 2003 Chevy Cavalier with the 2.2l Ecotec motor,and it loved Synthetic oil,after market air intake,and exhaust. Once that thing breathed easier,it screamed.

Ours seems to love it too...interesting about the intake though...

thx for buying a domestic i work at a GM supplier and recently bought a 2.2 G5 and it runs great as did my 2005 sunfire

Originally Posted By: Alex38

That's exactly how I do it on the GF's Cobalt. Super-easy to do, though I'm not sure it's any better than a intelligently-located conventional metal-can filter. And the cartridges usually are more expensive, at least in my area.

there is a large price spread on the ecotec filters. in advance auto, the purolator was IIRC around $9, and the AC delco was less than $5. saturn dealer was usually about $6.

I have the 2.2L Ecotec in my wife's Cobalt. They are very stout engines. Right now I put some Mobil 1 EP 5w30 that I got on special with the rebate. It seems to like the oil.

They are a breeze to work on, but be aware of the oil stream when you remove the drain plug. On the Cobalt it flies out of there!

Originally Posted By: Alex38

there is a large price spread on the ecotec filters. in advance auto, the purolator was IIRC around $9, and the AC delco was less than $5. saturn dealer was usually about $6.

Thanks for the tip on the AC filters, that will save me some dough!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back