US vs UK Gas Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch Top Gear on BBC all of the time. The shows hosts frequently bash US gasoline on the show when talking about US automobiles. Also, UK cars at the low end are getting 35 mpg, even out of a four door, loaded Jaguar. Here in the US, we barely get 35 mpg out of a little four cylinder car.

Does a lot of this have to do with the quality of UK/European gas compared to US gas, their's being better?

The Compression in those cars is different in the engine than in the U.S. They require higher octane gas, ie: 94, 98, 100 octane which may burn slower than lower octance gasoline.

We get gas cheap over here. There hasn't been a "need" for cars to get 35+ mpg here since for so long gas has been 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of gas and diesel elsewhere, such as Europe and Japan.

Whether that gas is lesser-quality is a matter of debate. I'd guess it is, based on the fiasco that is ultra-low-sulpher diesel, which they've had for years without problems, IIRC. And all the reports of sub-par gas that have crept up lately.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I watch Top Gear on BBC all of the time. The shows hosts frequently bash US gasoline on the show when talking about US automobiles. Also, UK cars at the low end are getting 35 mpg, even out of a four door, loaded Jaguar. Here in the US, we barely get 35 mpg out of a little four cylinder car.

Does a lot of this have to do with the quality of UK/European gas compared to US gas, their's being better?

Take the Brit Top Gear hyperbole with a big grain of salt.

They use Imperial gallons in Britain, not US gallons.

The primary real difference would be the ethanol scam that agribusiness and their bought and paid for congress critters have foisted off on us, but that's just a few percent.

Does this show use Imperial gallons to calculate mpg? 35 mpg using Imperial gallons would be about 30 mpg using U.S. gallons.

Due to refinery capacity being what it is in the US and the fact that we have not built a new one in over 30 years even though during that period population has grown, we are seeing almost 4 million gallons of refined gas/diesel, etc., coming into the country from overseas refineries a day.

Would guess some of the same fuel that is imported would meet the same standards as fuel in some other countries.

A US gallon has 128 oz while an imperial gallon used by the UK has 160 oz and that would explain the difference in fuel economy some.

i am sure they use "their own" gallon.
as for octane, the way North America calculate the octane rating is(R+M)/2, while they use the R value which is usual 5 point higher.
now i wonder if car manufacture publish 2 mileage, one for pure gasoline, and another one with ethanol blend. that shall put the stop on the ethanol scam real quick!!

Regardless of their actual miles per gallon, they are getting minimums of 500 miles to a tank of gas, in most cases a lot more. This kind of range of 4 door sedans, not little coups. The smaller cars are getting 700 miles to a single tank of gas.

So, regardless of the actual mpg and the difference in the size of the gallon, this kind of range is blowing us away. They either have huge gas tanks compared to the US, which I doubt is true. Or they are making better motors and have significantly better gasoline. I bet it's a mixture of the last two.

The best US cars are only going 400 miles on a single tank of gas. Most US cars fall into the 300 miles range on a single tank.

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson, the shows host, "American Petrol is pure rubbish."

By the way, Top Gear is the number one show on the BBC, the number one show in the UK, and ranks up with Idol as one of the most viewed shows in the world.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Would guess some of the same fuel that is imported would meet the same standards as fuel in some other countries.

I sure wouldn't assume that.

Regardless of their actual miles per gallon, they are getting minimums of 500 miles to a tank of gas, in most cases a lot more. This kind of range of 4 door sedans, not little coups. The smaller cars are getting 700 miles to a single tank of gas.

So, regardless of the actual mpg and the difference in the size of the gallon, this kind of range is blowing us away. They either have huge gas tanks compared to the US, which I doubt is true. Or they are making better motors and have significantly better gasoline. I bet it's a mixture of the last two.

The best US cars are only going 400 miles on a single tank of gas. Most US cars fall into the 300 miles range on a single tank.

So lets see some more comparisons of the cars.
-How much do the euros weigh compared to american versions?
-what are the emission standards for the euros vs US?
-what are the safety requirements for the euros vs US?
-what are the compression ratios?
-what are the octane ratings?
-are you comparing unleaded to diesel?

European cars don't just mysteriously get better mileage. Trying to make blanket statements based on a TV show saying european cars or fuels are better is pretty lame.

The cars that turned in those ranges on BBC Top Gear were diesels. It's an apples-to-oranges comparison...

Originally Posted By: badtlc

European cars don't just mysteriously get better mileage. Trying to make blanket statements based on a TV show saying european cars or fuels are better is pretty lame.

*DING! DING! DING!*

...And we have a winner!!!

Originally Posted By: rshunter

*DING! DING! DING!*

...And we have a winner!!!

What do I win?

Also, I want to note on the 400+miles per tank, I get 500 miles on a tank of gas in my Mazda 6i. Does that make it as good as a euro car?

As posted above, we use a differnet method to calculate octane ratings. The true octane ratings of common pump gas in the US and the UK are about the same.

Also, NA (North American) cars, especially small ones, are way over powered compared to their euro counterparts. The Euro Ford Focus starts off with a 1.6l engine (non-turbo), while the US has a 2.0. So when your comparing NA and Euro cars, make sure to take any engine size differences into account. Also, they use a TON of diesels over there, and those get great mileage. Its a shame we don't have more diesel passanger cars over here. If we had more diesels, perhaps people would realise the Prius doesn't actually get good mileage for what it claims to be.

Love top gear! A year or so ago, watched Jeremy Clarkson try to drive a Audi A8 with a 4.2L turbo diesel producing 326hp a supper long distance on one tank of fuel. He averaged over 40mpg...

So lets see some more comparisons of the cars.
-How much do the euros weigh compared to american versions?
-what are the emission standards for the euros vs US?
-what are the safety requirements for the euros vs US?
-what are the compression ratios?
-what are the octane ratings?

I clearly wasn't saying it was a mystery. There is are several obvious reasons for UK autos getting significantly better gas mileage. Many of those reasons you just listed. I also was not making a blanket statement, I was asking a clear question which you answered very well. Thanks for the answer, no thanks for the attitude.

I still haven't heard anyone give a significant answer on the difference between US and UK fuel. A few people have chimed in but haven't given any sources, proof, or credentials to back up their claims.

Some Joe Shmoe on this forum says their the same. Jeremy Clarkson, host of the number one car show on the planet, says US gas is rubbish. I was hoping someone could back up his claim. Or if you disagree. then provide some sort of evidence or explanation as to why he's wrong. Without sources, I just take your responses as respectable opinions. Most forums are filled with opinions. What I like about this forum is that occasionally we get some facts too.

The EU does have stricter limits on sulfur in fuel. This is mainly for better emissions, but I would imagine, over the long run, it would make for cleaner engines. As for its effect on fuel efficiency...
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back