Cars you should have kept, or not..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only had the Reliant about 18 months, traded it on a 1986 Toyota truck, no a/c. In Memphis,another brilliant move. The cars everyone is listing is the reason I told my boy we would never sell his 1959 Apache step-side. If he needs money I will buy it from him, he is 18 and it is his first and only truck, daily driver also. The other one we will not sell is a long term project; 1950 2 door Ford flathead 8, runs. I am 46 and have made enough stupid car moves for both of us. Keep the posts coming, there has got to be a ton more out there. And yes, I am sore from the beatings.

I was just thinking of my dad putting his S2 powered GN up for sale. Our next door neighbor agreed to the asking price the following day and my dad refused. He hates the car yet won't get rid of it.

Vehicles I should have kept...

-1982 Dodge Pickup
-1986 Dodge Caravan
-1992 Toyota Tercel

Nothing exotic, but they were reliable vehicles that I sold way before their time was up.

In 1978 I ordered a new Trans AM special edition with the big TA6.6 liter engine, 4 speed manual, air, T-roofs. I keep it 3 years and it never saw a winter then sold it for $5500. I would like to have it back...

Nothing major for me.

I've had 2 Ford Mavericks. The first one got totalled by a drunk driver and almost took my legs off. That was a [censored] day. I ended up buying another one. Sold it a few years ago. I still wish I had it. I'll have another someday though.

My parents had a nice Barracuda when I was born but they traded it off for another ride when I was about 4yrs old. I still looks at pics that have that car in them and wish they would have kept it.

I've only driven cars for 15 years, I'm only 31
wink.gif
. I never sold one I regretted. Granted, I'm only on my fourth vehicle.

94 Ford Ranger totalled, my fault
87 Toyota Corolla, headgasket and carb went bad, went to the junkyard.
92 Mitsubishi Mirage sold at 15 yrs old, everything except the engine and trans was failing.
96 Sunfire, I'm hoping to get another four years out of her.

Originally Posted By: Travis1963
I only had the Reliant about 18 months, traded it on a 1986 Toyota truck, no a/c. In Memphis,another brilliant move. The cars everyone is listing is the reason I told my boy we would never sell his 1959 Apache step-side. If he needs money I will buy it from him, he is 18 and it is his first and only truck, daily driver also. The other one we will not sell is a long term project; 1950 2 door Ford flathead 8, runs. I am 46 and have made enough stupid car moves for both of us. Keep the posts coming, there has got to be a ton more out there. And yes, I am sore from the beatings.

Ouch! My dad sold his Chrysler K car in a private sale back in 82 or 83. The POS trans failed during Christmas out of town too. Our family is anti Chrysler anything ever since. I'm a former Memphian btw. Hail King Willie!
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Cutehumor, your killing me! I live 24 miles north of Memphis but I still work there. Believe me, if I did not have a career type job here I would be in Nashville or probably further east. On another note, one of my coworkers said back in the early 70's his dad was driving through Texas and his 65 Mustang broke down on the highway(don't know the reason) and he said his dad just left it on the side of the road, and never went back for it! Good people, so I believe his story. I guess in the early 70's a 65 Mustang was not that special.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
In 1978 I ordered a new Trans AM special edition with the big TA6.6 liter engine, 4 speed manual, air, T-roofs. I keep it 3 years and it never saw a winter then sold it for $5500. I would like to have it back...

Nice car. Was it the Black Bandit Edition or the Gold one? Both were nice special edition models that are bringing real money today. Miss my '79 WS6.

1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Silver on black, 350 Rocket, owned by my grandmother. Grandpa sent it to the wreckers when we moved to New Brunswick.

Not a car, but a BMW R90/6 that I bought in 1978 or 1979 and sold in 1987 (for less than it was worth). I was moving around too much and didn't have a place to keep it or work on it. At the same time I practically gave away a Datsun 260Z. I never really liked the Z, but I wish I had the Beemer today.

1988 M6- I fitted it with a Dinan Chip and a Fahey track pipe; it made @310 bhp at the crank. I only lost one Stoplight Grand Prix, and that was to a 930 Turbo. It won its class at the 1994 BMW CCA Oktoberfest and also finished on the podium at a BMW/Porsche Solo 1 event at Memphis Motorsport Park...

2_1.jpg

I had a 1964 Ford Ford Fairlane 500 that was red with white trim. We bought it new in Dec. 1963 ( a great Christmas present). I loved driving it but we had 3 cars and one had to go. Tony had a 1947 Dodge pick up that was sold when we needed money for a down payment on a house.

Last edited:
1965 Ply. Barracuda commando V8, 4 speed, Ford rear end.
1969 Olds Cutlass S. Nice riding car and could cruise at 80 all day long.

82 cadillac cimarron... seriously... sold it back in y2k. Wish I had parked it in my inlaws' back forty until 2007, when it qualified for antique plates. It'd be an amusing ice cream cone cruise-in ride. Was my first junker that taught me some wrenching skills.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
I had a 1964 Ford Ford Fairlane 500 that was red with white trim.
Didnt list my college commuter car, a blue fastback 69 ford fairlane 500 (torino)Cobra Jet, 4spd with a 428SCJ and ram-air hood. Only cost me 750 bucks in 1975. Guy sold it because he ran over a kid on a bike with it. Talk about a "Christine" car. I sold it to a prince from Bangledesh for 900 a year later. Car was not strong like my chevelle, though it would be worth $$$ today if I kept it garaged. I estimated it might be worth 5-7k in 15 years - little did I know it would be 30-75K or I WOULD have found a garage!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back