UOA on high mileage sport bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
The results below are from my 1987 (20 years! Where does the time go?) Yamaha FZ700. I am the original owner and the bike has just shy of 111,000 miles. The bike is used year-round, typically 5 days a week commuting to work and a few trips to the twisties throughout the year.

Here it is:

FZ.jpg

Ill post last years results as well

Oil: Amsoil AMF 10W40
Miles on oil: 7215 (2007) / 5900 (2006)
Time on oil: 1 year / 1 year

Iron............18......17
Chromium.......0.......1
Lead.............2.......2
Copper.........8.......8
Tin..............0.......0
Aluminum......12......11
Nickel...........0.......0
Silver...........0.......0
Silicon..........7.......7
Boron..........14......29
Sodium..........0.......0
Magnesium.....61.....170
Calcium.....3693....3586
Barium............0.......0
Phosphorus..1240....1304
Zinc..........1588....1690
Molybdenum.......0.......0
Ti/Van/Pot.......0.......0

Fuel:.......... Vis @ 100c:..11.46...11.65
H2O/Soot/Coolant: None (both years)
TBN :.........6.56....7.18
Oxides:.......14.0....12.0
Nitrides......15.0....15.0

I made the mistake last year of changing the oil after taking the sample. As you can see, I wasted 4 qts of good oil. This year I left the oil in. I added 1/2 qt make-up oil. I intend to run this oil as long as the UOA says it still has life.
I have a spare engine for this bike so I am going to see just how long this will last, at which time I will swap engines.
I am very happy with these reports, and considering how the Amsoil has clearly affected my fuel mileage and feel of the clutch, very happy with the oil in general. The Viscosity has slipped some, but it hasnt moved enough to be meaningful, and this may not be the oils problem as I may have a thermostat issue, the bike has been running hotter than usual.

First of all, wlecome to the craziness that is the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums. Second, nice reports! I've been looking for some higher mileage motorcycle reports, looks like you have some. I am very interested to see how your reports look as you stretch out the change interval. I think Yamaha would be very proud to see one of their bikes with this many miles on the motor, I'm sure it has to do with your diligent maintenance. What types of oil have you used during the life of the motorcycle, and what change intervals have you used? Have you needed to replace engine/tranny internals, how often have you checked valve clearances? So many questions!

If this report is any indication it looks like you may not need to swap engines any time soon. It is always nice to see a well maintained high mileage bike.
cheers.gif

Nice report. Even with the old Amsoil AMF formulation that is supposed to be swapped out at 6 months, it still looks great at 12 months. You'll like and get even better reports with the new Amsoil 12 month MCF. What does your owners manual say for oil change intervals?

And
welcome.gif
to BITOG!

I have to say I am impressed with this report, wear wasn't bad given the miles run and it hasn't sheered down a whole lot. I don't see myself buying AMS any time soon, but it performed well.

Nice bike,

Reminds me of my previous bike, a 1987 Yamaha FJ1200. I took the engine/transmission apart at 60k miles to replace second gear and the shift fork. All of the crank bearings looked fantastic and showed no ntociceable wear. I bought this bike from a friend who MAYBE changed the oil every year. Maybe. He used the Yamalube 20w-40.

These yamaha's are very well made. When I sold it 3 years ago, it could still hang with all but the current literbikes.

For what I got for it, I wish I had kept it. Space is always an issue.

Also,

I love the idea of posting a picture of the vehicle when posting the UOA. It's nice to have some context, and we're all car/bike nuts here.

Welcome to BITOG!

Thanks guys, the bike has been a real workhorse for me. Ive thought many times about upgrading to a newer one, but this thing just fits me very well.

Ill try to answer all these questions:

1. Ill definitely post any more UOA as I wear this oil down. With the spare waiting in the wings, I intend to abuse this one in the name of science (or curiosity, I guess)
2. Ive actually used a few types of oil. When the bike was much newer, I used Golden Spectro. After a while I entered my cynical phase and went with plain dino Spectro for some time. At some point I then entered my cheapo phase and returned to some off-brand blend and then fnally came to my senses and switched to Amsoil.
3. OCI's for this bike ranged from the OEM 3750mi to double that through it's life. Generally I was near the OEM. (I also know now that I probably wasted some good oil)
4. One of the great things about Yamaha sport bikes with the 5-valve Genesis engines of the past were their incredible 26,000 valve inspection intervals. I have stuck to that religously. The valves would generally need some adjustment as they have worn into the head over time.
5. The engine is box stock except for a K&N air filter (which I HATE! - ask me about that some time). All engine internals are original, including, miraculously, the clutch.
7. The original AMF formulation OCI by Amsoil was twice OEM recommendation. So basically I have gone 2x that at the present moment. Personally, I dont know why Amsoil doesnt put the 1 year/(higher mileage) tag on thos oil as well. I suppose it is due to the huge diversity in bikes, engine configurations and usage that you dont see in the automotive side of things.

The Amsoil had two great affects on this bike. My mileage went from mid 45 mpg to 46-47 mpg. It also smoothed my clutch feel. Before the switch I was noticing some jerkiness when pulling away slowly and smoothly from lights. Upon switching to Amsoil, and I mean by the time I reached the end of my driveway... it was gone. I have still never had the clutch slip. I believe the jerkiness may have been deposits on the clutch friction plates.

The reason I am looking to swap engines is that this one, despite the fact that it could probably run for many more years, is losing power. I know from previous leak-down testing that my valves have lost some of their sealing capabilites. While this doesnt affect normal riding ability, being a commuter on freeway and surfaces streets requires instant power to be safe and keep from harms way. I have lost a bit of my 5th or 6th gear roll-on and since I have this other engine waiting, I just decided I would change it.

Heres a last note I always share about this bike. I hate dealerships. Im proud to say that in the 20 years since this bike was made, its been to the dealer once,and that was for its 600 mi break-in inspection. (Which was a joke)

Dash,

When you do ultimately replace your current motor, I would love to see photos of the engine and tranny internals.

Yea, but where is the fun in that?
grin.gif

Im trying to see just how long the oil can go.

Ill probably take another sample in 6 months.

Does anyone know how we can get a hold of DashRiprock? Does he frequent any other forum that people know of? I'm super curious to see if he tore apart his old motor and took pictures.

Originally Posted By: nicrfe1370
Does anyone know how we can get a hold of DashRiprock? Does he frequent any other forum that people know of? I'm super curious to see if he tore apart his old motor and took pictures.
Dashriprock is active over on the http://www.yamahafz1oa.com forum.

Here is a link to an introduction thread he started after he got a Yamaha FZ1: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77575

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back