Shelf life of synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again! I tried searching for this, but did not find a result. Sorry if I missed something obvious.

I was going to order some oil, and thought I would order enough for at least 2 changes. Is there any shelf life limitation on synthetic motor oil? I know there is on gas, but have not heard of one on oil.

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: Stillwater
Hi again! I tried searching for this, but did not find a result. Sorry if I missed something obvious.

I was going to order some oil, and thought I would order enough for at least 2 changes. Is there any shelf life limitation on synthetic motor oil? I know there is on gas, but have not heard of one on oil.

Thanks,

There is a shelf like, but it's greater than 5 years. So not to worry.

They claim 5 years, I'm almost certain its a lot longer than that. Probably 10 years or more, just shake it.

I currently have SH rated synthetic in my car that is approx. 13 years old and its running great.

I'm using SE oil IIRC in my mower, I had an open quart laying around. I shook it up real good, and when I looked into the empty qt there was nothing settled on the bottom that was out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
My GCgreen stash is 6 years old and I use it without worries.

Same for me. I've still got a bunch of green, mostly M04 stock, so about five years old. No indicators at all of a problem. Still looks and smells the same, and no sedimentation visible. UOA coming soon on the batch in my car that I'm about to test. Stay tuned.

I didnt even realize their was a shelf life on unopened motor oil.Thats kinda goofy isnt it? i mean what can go bad? its oil.

Last edited:
Motor oils have improved so much in the last 5-7 years that I would recommend the older oils should only be used in engines you do not care much about.

They still provide good protection, but not the best protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back