Can U Beleive THIS? MOBIL EP Worst Than Havoline!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The 4-Ball Wear machine is an excellent tool for developing a lubricant for the 4-Ball Wear machine.

Tom NJ

With all the Mg and Z, I hear Prell Shampoo does excellent in the 4B test. That's why I use it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
but their marketing tactics and dealer networks are so scummy I will never use their stuff.

I totally agree. Our customer interface is right down there with the dealer service adviser that tells you 3m/3k and sells you $100/hour service you don't need, the pimple faced kid at a number of auto parts stores, various quick lubes ..and, while a shinning knight of integrity, your Homer old boy racer that hasn't learned a thing about motor oils since the 70's. Our marketing distractions are equal to some crusty highlander smacking people on the arse with a dipstick and making sexual innuendo at the conclusions of our commercial for our high class and totally socialized audience, right up there with bathing cars in sludge ...running engines through a virtual shredder ...and showing golden mustangs emerging from the hood.

Some day we'll get some class to match the upstanding level of our audience.

Gary I'm glad you have seen the error in your ways!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: pzev
Amsoil makes some decent products, but their marketing tactics and dealer networks are so scummy I will never use their stuff. Not to mention, its a situation where you can get something as good for orders of magnitude less money.
The fanboys present on this site have only reinforced my distaste for Amsoil, among other brands.

Seems this site has devolved into a fan boy battle ground, with M1 and Amsoil users making up the front lines.

Exactly how I feel about Amsoil, word for word.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I totally agree. Our customer interface is right down there with the dealer service adviser that tells you 3m/3k and sells you $100/hour service you don't need, the pimple faced kid at a number of auto parts stores, various quick lubes ..and, while a shinning knight of integrity, your Homer old boy racer that hasn't learned a thing about motor oils since the 70's. Our marketing distractions are equal to some crusty highlander smacking people on the arse with a dipstick and making sexual innuendo at the conclusions of our commercial for our high class and totally socialized audience, right up there with bathing cars in sludge ...running engines through a virtual shredder ...and showing golden mustangs emerging from the hood.

Some day we'll get some class to match the upstanding level of our audience.

Lol, I don't like Castrol, or Quaker state either. Who virtually shredded the engine?

All companies at one point or another have had ridiculous add campaigns. That said, Amsoil has been a leader in cr@ptacular marketing for some time.
I have taken this off topic though.

Quote:
Who virtually shredded the engine?

Pennzoil. It was their PP commercial. It showed an engine going through a shredder and reforming into a sheet of paper from the slices. It was to depict their "adaptive molecules".

Quote:
That said, Amsoil has been a leader in cr@ptacular marketing for some time.

Care to share some specific examples? I've yet to see any that rival "90% of all wear occurs at start up" ..while leaving off (that's 20 minutes in a human's life) from the ad.

I've really got to see some of this stinky ad campaign stuff you speak of.

Now if you're just referring to Yahoo! j/o dealers ..well I will refer back to the service adviser ..the typical autoparts store employee ..the old school amazing racer wrench ..and all kinds of other people who really don't know too much about oil and have all kinds of misconceptions about lots of stuff ....like the notion that there's "magic oil" ..or "it's all the same" ..or "you need coal tar to protect your engine" ..or .."M1 is always the best choice" ...

21.gif

Have you even searched a little bit on how many times this EXACT topic has come up? Almost verbatim posts. (amazing actually). Even the bleach thing....which is total BULLKHRAP. I mean total JUNK, made up stuff in relation to ASTM D-4172. Funny that the guys who repeat that malarky say "Amsoil just makes stuff up". Bottom line here is that some few people love to hate Amsoil. I'm used to it.

Gary has it well covered. (funny as heck actually!!)

Also funny that Castrol, Royal Purple and some others get called on the carpet for their marketing claims. Amsoil? Not so much. Could it be that Amsoil is using independent labs for their published data? Hard for some here swallow.

I've never seen an Amsoil commercial, I just remember reading about it quite a bit on the net. You wanted protection you HAD to get Mobil 1, but you want the BEST, Amsoil was it. This coming from a lot of the GM forums.

Everyone wanted Amsoil, but in my neck of the woods only 1 place sells it, and its like chopping your manhood off trying to buy it. It's ridiculously overpriced and I'd never buy it for that price. If I still had my TC i'd buy it online, my Xterra doesn't need it as its fine on what ever is on sale and gets only 3-4k OCI's due to its small sump size and ability to rip oil a new butt hole.
crackmeup2.gif

I've heard nothing but good on Amsoil, never bad. Can't really comment on the ad's as I've NEVER EVER seen em. To me, a lack of advertising and having Amsoil being promoted like it was for on the forums was enough and shows how the product stood out, at least in my area.

Last edited:
Why does it matter how something is sold or their dealer network? Thats a companys internal business.Now I get real turned OFF about WalMart and Home Depots internal ways of doing things and WHERE their products come from.I shop them as little as I can.All in all Amsoil products have always been a top tier product.Their UOAs also show that.I find their products a little on the high side compared to over the counter stuff.Thats MY choice to spend a little more.I happen to LIKE not shopping in a STORE.I like to shop at home and let Big Brown deliver.

Last edited:
There is a 4 ball wear machine up for sale on ebay. I'm thinking of running Amsoil in it for extended changes. Do you think I should Auto-Rx it first?

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The 4-Ball Wear machine is an excellent tool for developing a lubricant for the 4-Ball Wear machine.

Tom NJ

+1

I'll take M1 over any oil of the week. I am trying out some Valvoline now and my cars burns more oil with this, even though the weight is heavier. I don't use M1 EP though as I change my oil more frequent than the oil is designed. In addition, I haven't done the research to know if it is any different from the regular M1 beside the bottle cap coloring.

I'll stick to my less expensive oils thank you. Plus, I like doing oil changes. Once a year, 25k changes are um, boring. Even 15k OCI's with M1 EP is too long IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Have you even searched a little bit on how many times this EXACT topic has come up? Almost verbatim posts. (amazing actually). Even the bleach thing....which is total BULLKHRAP. I mean total JUNK, made up stuff in relation to ASTM D-4172. Funny that the guys who repeat that malarky say "Amsoil just makes stuff up". Bottom line here is that some few people love to hate Amsoil. I'm used to it.

Also funny that Castrol, Royal Purple and some others get called on the carpet for their marketing claims. Amsoil? Not so much. Could it be that Amsoil is using independent labs for their published data? Hard for some here swallow.

Sadly most people here did not get Gary's excellent post and then will go out and buy their favorite "best" oil from the worst company out there in advertising....

It's such a joke. Amsoil is so bad but its ok if Exxon/Mobil/Castrol/Pennzoil/QS does it.

People... GET A CLUE
06.gif

And most of you are falling for it hook, line and sinker...
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Sadly most people here did not get Gary's excellent post and then will go out and buy their favorite "best" oil from the worst company out there in advertising....

It's such a joke. Amsoil is so bad but its ok if Exxon/Mobil/Castrol/Pennzoil/QS does it.

People... GET A CLUE
06.gif

And most of you are falling for it hook, line and sinker...
20.gif

No.. I believe the few of us who said we don't like amsoil is that we don't like their "white paper" tests and the way they do business with customers with that pyramid scheme.

Mobil and Pennzoil rarely have outrageous advertisements and rarely knock off other competitors products. I can't stand how amsoil does those meaningless tests to show how much better their oils are then the competitors. Can't speak much for castrol, valvoline, or QS since their advertising isn't much better.

Get a clue.
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back